Heritage Owners Club

Ups man came today!

big bob

Had a Memory Boy for a while. Decent delay. One thing that's bugged me about so many of the EH pedals is they require a dedicated power supply due to the current they draw. The MB wanted 500mA of it's own. How's this one on draw? Curious, too, about how you work the multiple effects part. Do you have to readjust each time you want, say, delay no chorus, chorus no delay, etc.? And you're using it as a pre-amp? That's interesting.

Had a Memory Boy for a while. Decent delay. One thing that's bugged me about so many of the EH pedals is they require a dedicated power supply due to the current they draw. The MB wanted 500mA of it's own. How's this one on draw? Curious, too, about how you work the multiple effects part. Do you have to readjust each time you want, say, delay no chorus, chorus no delay, etc.? And you're using it as a pre-amp? That's interesting.

Yeah, but doesn't it seem that the peds that have their own power supply, always sound the best?

Yeah, but doesn't it seem that the peds that have their own power supply, always sound the best?

For me, I would have to say no. To perform at their best most pedals are designed to work on x-volts, x-mA. One designed to work on 9v, 300mA should sound as good as one designed to work on 15v, 500mA, assuming either pedal actually sounds good in the first place. There's a debate on whether 18v pedals have more headroom and clearer sounds than 9v pedals. But if one is built to work optimally on a 9v platform it should perform as well as one on 18v. Same for 300mA vs 500mA. What EH is saying is that some of their designs work better on 500mA, not so well on less than that. Doesn't mean overall it sounds better than another running on less. Well, not in my opinion. If you think they do, you are perfectly within your rights to think that, and say that. That's one reason we have SO many different pedals, so many different operating platforms. :)

EH makes some really cool stuff, if they would work out the power supply issue they would really have something.

Kenny,I have several big pedals that have standard plugs so I use a dedicated peer strip with surge protection and all the othe stuff.

I don't know if you have seen my pedal boards I have two, one on the floor by the mic stand and one that sits on top of my amp like a shelf. The one on the amp is for my reverb unit, the memory man, pod, and other units with lots of controlls. I like to use them with my hands like rack mount stuff. When I'm not singing I use the effects on the fly like a console. Kinda like Niles Kline from Wilco. I really like the intense feedback that the memory man does. When I'm not using the effects on the memory man I have it set real miniumly and use it like a preamp. Lots of headroom, has a big airy sound. The band is laying a party on Saturday with lots of talking heads stuff so I'll get a chance to test her out then.

Archived