Heritage Owners Club

Gibson classic '57 pickups in a H535?

James535

Has anyone on here fitted a set of the Gibson classic '57 pickups to their 535? It has to be said, I do like the tone from my 59s in the guitar currently, but I recently picked up one of those limited run Gibson Custom shop Joe Bonamassa 335s in a store and the tone from the '57s ticked so many boxes for me. I was just wondering whether they would suit the Heritage, any forum members with experience on this?

Thanks in advance!

James.

Gibson makes darned decent pickups. Or rather, has darned decent pickups made for them. No reason they wouldn't sound great in a Heritage. Assuming they don't make it explode. Sorta like mixing Skim Milk and Whole Milk - a volitile combination for sure.

I think low output PAF type pickups work well in a 535, hence Heritage loading them with Schaller Golden 50s originally.

I think 57 Classics would work very nicely but it's truly a subjective thing, isn't it?

I think low output PAF type pickups work well in a 535, hence Heritage loading them with Schaller Golden 50s originally.

I think 57 Classics would work very nicely but it's truly a subjective thing, isn't it?

Yeah definitely, to one man they might sound incredible but to another, not so much. I guess the main reason I asked is in case anybody had done the swap and encountered any issues or limitations. But I can't see why they wouldn't work, they were so responsive in the bonamassa 335 I tried and I doubt the imitation bumblebee capacitors fitted to that guitar would influence the sound that much. Most the work had to be down to the 57s.

My most recent purchase, the Derek Trucks model SG sports the 57s too and I've been blown away by them. So responsive to touch and the tone & volume controls that they are a serious pleasure to use.

I think I've just talked myself into putting them into the 535 haven't I? haha.

I have 57 Classics stock in my 06 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Reissue. I think they sound great on this guitar, set up with .11s. Louder, more "in your face" than the SD Antiquities I have in my 535, or the Schallers I have in my 555. I definitely have to adjust my amp when switching from one guitar to the other. Give us a report on what YOU think once the deed is done!

I have 57 Classics stock in my 06 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Reissue. I think they sound great on this guitar, set up with .11s. Louder, more "in your face" than the SD Antiquities I have in my 535, or the Schallers I have in my 555. I definitely have to adjust my amp when switching from one guitar to the other. Give us a report on what YOU think once the deed is done!

Thanks for the comment. I think it has to be done, I will have to start putting the pennies together for them as I've only recently spent out for the SG. But I definitely will let you guys know my thoughts once the deed is done!

Archived