Heritage Owners Club

535 vs 555

jazzblues

Hey guys, I'm new here - I don't own a Heritage but recently discovered them and now I desperately need one.

So I wanted to ask a fairly simple question - what is the difference between an H-535 and an H-555? From what I've heard, the 555 typically has an ebony neck and fancy inlays, but are there any size/shape differences? And can a 535 be ordered with an ebony neck and the fancy inlays?

Thanks.

Welcome aboard jazzblues. Keep in mind Heritage IS a custom shop so the guitars can be ordered with just about any option you want - within reason.

535 - Traditonaly Mahogany neck, rosewood board, nickel plated parts, dot inlays.

555 - Traditioanly maple neck (though there are many with Mahogany now as well), ebony board, gold plated parts, fancy inlays, bound peg head and f holes.

The 555 is a tricked out 535. As you said, they come with ebony fretboard, block inlays, extra binding around the headstock with inlay. Functionally they are the same.

As for customizing a 535, that's the beauty of dealing with Heritage. They'll build just about anything you want. Work with a good dealer, or if you ever get to K'zoo, stop by the factory and talk to them yourself. Remember, you eventually have to order through a dealer. They don't sell "out of network".

Hey guys, I'm new here - I don't own a Heritage but recently discovered them and now I desperately need one.

So I wanted to ask a fairly simple question - what is the difference between an H-535 and an H-555? From what I've heard, the 555 typically has an ebony neck and fancy inlays, but are there any size/shape differences? And can a 535 be ordered with an ebony neck and the fancy inlays?

Thanks.

Welcome aboard jazzblues. Keep in mind Heritage IS a custom shop so the guitars can be ordered with just about any option you want - within reason.

535 - Traditonaly Mahogany neck, rosewood board, nickel plated parts, dot inlays.

555 - Traditioanly maple neck (though there are many with Mahogany now as well), ebony board, gold plated parts, fancy inlays, bound peg head and f holes.

Alright, thanks. I wasn't sure if there were any actual size differences.

I'm saving my pennies....

Wow! What a sweet looking axe. The inlays look really great with the flame finish. Did you get it new or get it used? Or did you custom order it?

That is actually my H555 in the photos. I purchased it about a month ago from the original owner. It is a 2002 model With Schaller pickups and hardware. It spent most of its life in the closet and is in like new condition. I have a set of Seth Lover pickups setting on the shelf ready to install as soon as I have a few hours to commit to install them.

555s now come standard with a Mahogany neck, maple is now an upcharge. I don't recall if ebony is standard on 555s or if it is an upcharge too. But I am certain about the Mahogany neck being standard.

I special ordered my 555 with a mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard because I want the authentic 335 tone but the 555 inlays. Marv told me a couple of years ago that they went with mahogany/rosewood as stardard issue on the 555 because people wanted the 335 tone, as I did.

SO I am basically saying that maple/ebony will be an upcharge but check with your dealer sometimes they can work things out on a special order.

My 555 sounded great with the maple neck. To me, it's an essential feature of the design. They're meant to be brighter sounding than a 535--think BB King rather than Larry Carlton. That beautiful white 555 also reminds me that the old 555 is a better rock guitar than the 535, since the maple neck helps give a tighter low end and cuts through the mix better.

My 555 was made with the body sized down 1/2 inch around (size of prospect). Absolutely love the guitar (also custom paint color for me). The Heritage Team is just amazing! The guitar plays and feels just like I wanted with all the "bling" of the 555 intact. Great guitar!!

Since Heritage offers so many custom options, you can really blur the differences between the two models. For example, here is my custom H-535, but it has block inlays, binding throughout, and traditional G-style ebony finger rest. but retains the build of a H-535 with its rosewood fretboard and 1960s profile mahogany neck.

5358.jpg

5359.jpg

My 555 was made with the body sized down 1/2 inch around (size of prospect). Absolutely love the guitar (also custom paint color for me). The Heritage Team is just amazing! The guitar plays and feels just like I wanted with all the "bling" of the 555 intact. Great guitar!!

That would be an interesting guitar to see. Is it really the 555/535 body design, just smaller? Which is what the Prospect shoulda/coulda/mighta been. But they did the waiste smaller, too. Which then pushed the ears out a tad. Post pics of that TRULY custom 555, would you?

Archived