Heritage Owners Club

Soap for new screw insertion?

High Flying Bird

A buddy's strap button has stripped out the slot in his 150.  I have a slightly larger screw that shouldn't need to be pre-drilled.  I have read here that you should use soap to grease the hole.  What kind of soap?  Irish Spring, Dawn.... GoJo?

Thanks in advance. 

I usually use bees wax or chap stick (mostly parafin).  Plain old bar soap works as well - I'm a Dial mine myslef.

Thanks Dude!  In some circles you may want to use "soap-on-the-rope."  :-X

'Bird:

Following the logic of the state joke of Alabama, maybe you just need a longer screw.  Plenty of new wood there, your friend just isn't equipped to get to it. 

If you do use soap, I'd go with ivory: 99 44/100ths pure.  (no stain ...or at least not more than .66%)

'Bird:

Following the logic of the state joke of Alabama, maybe you just need a longer screw.  Plenty of new wood there, your friend just isn't equipped to get to it. 

If you do use soap, I'd go with ivory: 99 44/100ths pure.  (no stain ...or at least not more than .66%)

Hahahahaha...........

I would suggest the toothpick wood glue trick, only because if the larger strap button also strips out, bang-smash, that could be tragic..

Yes, but you don't want the hole too tight or you can crack/split the wood.  The hole shoud be the diameter of the shaft of the screw - only the threads should bite into the wood.

Yes, but you don't want the hole too tight or you can crack/split the wood.  The hole shoud be the diameter of the shaft of the screw - only the threads should bite into the wood.

I will have calipers and my coke bottle reading glasses.  If I need to drill a slightly larger hole it should be no problem.  The hole is alread too large for the Heritage supplied screw.

Archived