Heritage Owners Club

Schaller roller bridge & Stoptail combo

davesultra

To those who have experience with these, how are they? My '02 Ultra (along with every "G brand" guitar I've owned over the years) has the traditional Nashville TOM and Stoptail set-up, so I'm used to those. I should be receiving a used '99 H-150CM in a few days and it has the Schaller stuff on it. What can I expext out of that hardware, as I've never used it (Schaller) before? Thanks in advance.

I like em. They're adjustable back and forth for intonation and side to side for string spacing. I've yet to break a string on the roller setup.  Jay Wolfe says that the schaller has less sustain than the Nashville and thats true but I personally don't think it's that much.  You'll have both so you can A-B em when you get your latest addition.

I forgot to add that I don't like the Schaller tailpiece. I always switch those out to the conventional ones. They're pretty easy to change strings with but the string holders can swing down and scratch the finish if they're set to low.

I ran into the Schaller bridge and stoptail on my recently acquired old H127. Since I have not A-B'd them with anything else I don't know if they're that much different from your average Gotoh stuff. Both the bridge and the stoptail look brilliant and sturdy. It was much easier to screw in the stop tail all the way down onto the body without having the strings touch the back of the bridge (where they would lose tone) than with my two Gotoh systems. Heritage have used this Schaller hardware for centuries, so I cannot believe it would be off less quality. And remember, it is German manufacturing and these guys have a certain reputation for excellent metal work.

Check http://www.jacquesguitars.com/Heritage127_English.html for a couple of detailed pics.

Oh..and never no string holder problems on my tailpiece like with mr. Golferwave's, so maybe he had a different one?

I ran into the Schaller bridge and stoptail on my recently acquired old H127. Since I have not A-B'd them with anything else I don't know if they're that much different from your average Gotoh stuff. Both the bridge and the stoptail look brilliant and sturdy. It was much easier to screw in the stop tail all the way down onto the body without having the strings touch the back of the bridge (where they would lose tone) than with my two Gotoh systems. Heritage have used this Schaller hardware for centuries, so I cannot believe it would be off less quality. And remember, it is German manufacturing and these guys have a certain reputation for excellent metal work.

Check http://www.jacquesguitars.com/Heritage127_English.html for a couple of detailed pics.

Oh..and never no string holder problems on my tailpiece like with mr. Golferwave's, so maybe he had a different one?

The Nashville style bridges on both of my H-535s are Schaller - at least they say Made in Germany on them. 

The Nashville style bridges on both of my H-535s are Schaller - at least they say Made in Germany on them. 

The Nashville on my Ultra is by Schaller but the Stoptail is a Gotoh, Is that unusual?

I would like to replace the stock Schaller stoptail and bridge in my 535 and go to a G-style combo.  Don't know which one to order and was hoping to get some help on this site.  Here is a link to the one I've been eyeing from Stew-Mac, can you please tell me which one to order:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp..._Tailpiece.html

Also, looking at this bridge:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp..._and_Parts.html

Or this bridge:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/gbridge...allergibson.htm

And this nickel Gibson brand stop:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/gbridge_genuinegibson.htm

I appreciate the help.  Again, looking for recommendations but also want to know which one will fit.

Thanks,

Jack

Some of your choices are Schallers again, so I wouldn't bother changing the originals for those if I were you...

And remember you will have to file your own notches in the saddles with the Gotoh.

Some of your choices are Schallers again, so I wouldn't bother changing the originals for those if I were you...

And remember you will have to file your own notches in the saddles with the Gotoh.

I don't care for the looks of the Schaller stoptail and want to swap it out for a traditional looking bridge.  I also don't like the roller bridge as much as the Nashville I have on other guitars.  Just want to order the right size.  Do you know which one will work on my 535?

J

I don't care for the looks of the Schaller stoptail and want to swap it out for a traditional looking bridge.  I also don't like the roller bridge as much as the Nashville I have on other guitars.  Just want to order the right size.  Do you know which one will work on my 535?

J

I would tend to think that any of the bridges with a 2-29/32" post spacing would be fine as it's the same spacing as the roller bridge. Post size I wouldn't think to be an issue as most all Nashville's' come with posts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All, I have just joined the group, although I've been a fan of Heritage guitars for a decade now. I honestly think there is much hype about the bridge and tailpiece hardware in relation to tone. The Schaller stuff is fine in my view, and I like the way one can slip a string up and out of its tailpiece "holder" without unravelling it from the tuning machine - this can be useful when one needs to do something on the guitar but one wishes to reuse the string. Others have already rightly commented on the string spacing feature with the roller bridge which, in reality, is more than a gimmick especially when the bridge is otherwise fixed (ie not a fully floating bridge base on an acoustic archtop). Finally, the smooth profile of the Schaller tailpiece is comfortable if one has a tendency to rest one's hand on this part of the guitar's anatomy. Cheers.

Archived