Heritage Owners Club

Finish vs value

goSteelers

Dont really see the point. I luv the beauty of a flame top. Not a fan of solid colors. Does it make it sound or play better ,, no. Do most peoples jaws drop at a aaaa flame top ,,, yes. Worth every extra penny!!

Some people are happy with a squire strat.

Some guys will jump on something because they dig the curly top. Some dump a great looking Heritage cause they don't like the neck. Playability, sound, feel, looks, cost, color all in the eyes, ears and hands of the buyer.

Yep.. I did that with my 535.. Didn't like the fat neck!! But my H-140 has a thinner more "Fenderlike" neck, and I Love it!!

Finish does change the value and should be considered - I have gotten rid of many really nice guitars that didn't have the finish I wanted only because of the color (I bought them because they were cheaper than my favorite finish - and then it grated on me for awhile). It also affects resale value. Most guitarists are more creative types - and therefore looks do make a difference. If you consider the top selling shapes are Les Pauls and Strats still - that is because there is a lot of emotion involved. Surely better guitars have been designed since they were put together in the 50s. I do agree with the comments that if you get too nice a finish, you won't play it as well (I had a PRS custom that was a piece of art that I didn't want to bang up - so it sat unplayed which is ridiculous.

And one last word (sorry...):

I now look for the triple threat on purchases:

1. Look

2. Feels great (action, neck, weight)

3. Sound (acoustically and with pickups)

I have a triple threat H150 that is the bomb (I installed Fralin unbuckers. Would post a pic but can't figure out how to...

depends entirely on the person, and the guitar. some people LOVE black guitars, or white, or something sparkly. Not everyone is head over heals for bursts and translucent finishes.

That said, I don't really have any finishes that are just a plain opaque color. If it's not sparkly or something, it's gotta at least be translucent.

That IS an interesting phenomena that happens with the high end PRS guitars, isn't it?

High end PRS's? Really?

And here I thought we were open minded people. People that don't stereotype and hold predjices over the name on a headstock.....

PRS builds some great guitars.... Most here have never played a David Grissom Trem PRS or an Al Dimeola signature.

Seek, free your minds...... Don't assume to know.

Archived