Heritage Owners Club

H575 bridge question

DaTech

My 575 is excellent for jazz, but when I want to bend the strings it basically says 'no'. I really would like the guitar to be versatile enough to span the gaps between jazz and rock, which should be achievable seeing that it has good hardware, good pickups and a maple top. From a hardware perspective, the only difference between it and say a Gibson ES-335 or 175, which are both capable rock guitars, is the bridge; them having tune-o-matic bridges, mine being of the typical wooden style that comes with the 575.

My question is: Is the wooden bridge the kink in my setup that I'm searching for? Should I replace it with a tune-o-matic style item?

I've heard of others doing that. I just acquired my H575, and I play mostly rock on it (hey, if Ted Nugent can play rock on a hollow body, why can't I?)

But I've had no problems doing what you want to do, though I may need to try a lighter string gauge (I think it currently has 13s on it).

I put a tune-a-matic on one of my 575's and it works just fine.  You'll probably need to have this done by a good guitar tech though, since the current wooden base will not work with a tune-a-matic bridge--the poles are not the right distance apart.  So if you use a new base, you'll have to have it fitted to the top, and that's the part that takes a pro to get right (and some of those can't get it right).  If you can find a bridge that fits the posts on your current base, you're good to go.  But I searched StewMac and other sources and couldn't find one a while back when I had this done.

Hello new member here....(A 2007 Golden Amber H575 Custom via Jay Wolfe...I know I know...I need pics!!!!!) Anyway.....Check out this website--- http://www.tonepros.com/products.htm ---- and refer to the AVR II bridge replacement....Ive been told this will fit the saddle without any mods to your original!!!!  I have yet to chk on this myself..plz let me know if you get a confirmation on what I was told!!!!

I doubt this bridge will fit the posts on the bridge that came with the Heritage.  The posts on the rosewood bridge are not spaced the same as those on standard Gibson-style bridges.  Note that the description says the bridge will fit guitars originally fitted for ABR type bridges, not guitars that originally had a rosewood (or ebony) bridge.  You could fill the holes in the original base and re-drill them for the new bridge, which is actually an easier job than fitting a new base to the exact contours of the guitar top.

• 2 months later...

I realise this thread is a couple of months old now, but this might be of benefit to somebody.

I bought a 575  Custom from Mr Jay Wolfe in December and it was originally fitted with the wooden bridge.

However I do like to bend and I previously had an Aria jazz box with a wooden bridge and the strings would occasionally move while playing.

The bridge was replaced on my request, (at no charge by the way), with a tune-o-matic style bridge.

The action is nice and low and it intonates and plays very nicely.

Bear in mind that this is on a left handed guitar.

width=360 height=480http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/SouthpawGuy/575lh03.jpg[/img] width=360 height=480http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/SouthpawGuy/575lh02.jpg[/img]

Archived