Heritage Owners Club

Noisy Pots?

pushover

I just replaced a tone pot on my 535, and wouldn't you believe it the new pot makes noise if you turn it vigorously while playing :(

I checked all of the other pots and they're golden.. not a peep out of them..

Then I tried the same thing with my 157, and they're starting to make a little noise also..

So what's the verdict from the group. do I go out any buy some deoxit and spray the crap out of them, or what?

From reading a few thing on the web it seems like most people think that deoxit or tuner cleaner will do the trick. Others say its just an temporary fix and it will actually just deteriorate your pots further. What do you think?

Easiest way to cure noisy pot is to take the seeds out.

:groan:

I'd say cleaner first, but make sure you don't get it on anything you don't want it on (like lacquer). If that doesn't work, then I'd have to go with replacements. But, you said you just replaced one and it's noisy. Either it was defective to start with, or it got overheated when it was soldered and the wiper/arm deformed enough to cause a problem...both of which mean it needs to be replaced. :'(

Still, I'm a "cheap fix first" kind of guy, so give the cleaner a shot.

Easiest way to cure noisy pot is to take the seeds out.

Had I not been playing my new 150 tonight I would have beat you to that one.  >:(

Dick is right.  Soldering on those pots is risky.  Last week when I was changing out the pickup in two guitars I soldered the grounds to the tab of the pot that was already soldered to the case of the pot.  I suspect you got a crappy pot but hit it with a shot or two of contact cleaner.

Since we're on the subject.  This is probably a bad thing to do, but I never said I was smart ;D  I had a scratchy volume pot on an Ibanez I used to own.  I took the pot and sprayed it with silicone spray and wiped off the excess.  I worked great!  Never had another problem with it.  Doe's anyone know if silicone is a bad thing for pots?

Archived