Heritage Owners Club

Please help me add TonePros Bridge and Tail Piece to Heritage 140

peerless

Hi, All...I have a Heritage 140 2nd edition with the standard Heritage rollernut bridge and tail piece.  I want to install:

1.  Tone pros locking system for the tailpiece and (??) the bridge.

2.  Aluminum stop tailpiece.

3.  ABR-1 vintage style bridge.

So far I plan to get the following from AllParts:

TP_3406-001

Gotah Aluminum Featherweight Stop TP

TP_0456-S01

Tone Pros® SNS/NKL

Steel locking studs

So I plan to use the Gotah tail piece with the TP locking studs to achieve part of goal 1 and goal 2.  I am not sure what bridge part will fit my studs or if I need to change the studs?

I have never changed out the studs on my guitar before. Do they simply screw out then back in?

An ABR-1 style bridge wont work without some modification to either the bridge or the guitar - you need a Nashville style bridge.  The mounting posts on the ABR-1 have a smaller diameter than the Nashville mounting posts, so you either have to drill out the ABR-1 bridge to fit the Nashville style posts or you have to replace the Nasville syle posts with ABR-1 posts.  The challenge there is that the ABR-1 posts thread directly into the body of the guitar, the Nashville posts go into a threaded bushing that is pushed into the body of the guitar.  So you either have to pull the bushings out, plug the body and then re-drill for the ABR-1 posts, or you have to find (make?) a post that fits the Nashville style bushing yet is narrower on top for the ABR-1 bridge.

Like I said, you need a Nashville style bridge.  It will drop right in and you can use the existing mounting posts or the ones that come with the bridge and be up and rockin' in just a few minutes.

Hi Peerless. What I did with my bridge was drill, tap, and install stainless allan screws in it to make it locking. Got everything I needed at Ace. If you can't get the parts you want as locking units you might consider this option. Welcome to the HOC.  :)

Faber makes a ABR 1 bridge that fits your studs available from CVguitars. You might want to check the site for their locking tailpiece as an alternative to the tone pros.  Then you could do the locking mod AnH555 suggests. Remember to NOT get metrix threads. After replacing the zink with aluminum you may find you loose some grit.  Enjoy your toy.

Hey peerless.  I just replaced my Schaller stuff on my 150 with Tonepros.  It was as easy as unscrewing the old studs and screwing in the new ones.  I didn't have anything weird come up.  It works great.

Thanks for all the responses.  Very helpful indeed. 

It seems like drilling out the ABR-1 may be the way to go.  Either that or I will just stick with my roller bridge and only change the TP out for now.  I am looking for enhancing the tone and not aesthetics.

Call me slow or whatever. But whats the big dif between an ABR and a Nashville bridge? I wouldn't know one from the other. The Schaller! That I can recognize easily enough. School me on the other two.

I agree with the last two posts. Just get the Nashville style TonePros. Do not get the "metric" or "large post" bridge. Those are for oversees built guitars like Epiphone, etc.

For some reason, WD Music does not have the TP6 listed (but I know they are currently revamping their website).

Allparts has them:

The Nashville model for the bridge is TP6.

http://www.allparts.com/store/gb0543-010,Product.asp

Archived