Heritage Owners Club

Lunch-tone Report: Fender EVH 5150iii 50w

I am big fan of the gain tones of the original 5150. I still think it is the amp to beat in the high gain area. It's only real weakness is when you don't want gain. The 5150ii was a bit of a shift. I wasn't a fan of the tone change. It took on a can o'bees sound that I just couldn't get along with.

Today, I tried the 5150iii 50w at Sam Ash. I grabbed an Ibanez AR420 off the wall and plugged in. Clean channel first: it was a very pleasant clean. It wasn't as round sounding as the H&K TM18 I played earlier but still very smooth and nice. The next channel was the more crunch channel. Again, nice. The lead channel ...had a bee's nest in it like the 5150ii even at lower gain settings. I unplugged and that was that.

There are lots of people that love the 5150iii but I am just not one of them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

K, noted... But how was the Ibanez?!?! You were demoing that too!
by the time I got to the 5150, I had already gone over the AR320 on the Tubemeister. It Is very similar to the AR420 here. I really like flexibility. The pickups are AlNiCo based and warmer Super 58 Customs rather than the normal ceramic Custom 58s that once seemed to adorn every sub $1000 Ibanez. Not only that, the pickups could each run series, parallel and split. The variety of tones was wild....from a $450 guitar no less! Well, the AR320 was $450. The AR420 was a bit more. The AR320 was multiply bound gold top. Rather smart looking if you ask me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by the time I got to the 5150, I had already gone over the AR320 on the Tubemeister. It Is very similar to the AR420 here. I really like flexibility. The pickups are AlNiCo based and warmer Super 58 Customs rather than the normal ceramic Custom 58s that once seemed to adorn every sub $1000 Ibanez. Not only that, the pickups could each run series, parallel and split. The variety of tones was wild....from a $450 guitar no less! Well, the AR320 was $450. The AR420 was a bit more. The AR320 was multiply bound gold top. Rather smart looking if you ask me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cool! I may have to try one of those! What are the necks like?

Archived