Heritage Owners Club

140 electronic refurb w prails

cod65

Hiya everybody!

enjoying my '91 black h140 lefty. pictures soon, maybe after this last project ....

I got some p-rails coming in the mail, going to add at least 2 push/pull pots.  I'm here at work, would like to order today - what type of push/pulls for the 140 ?

I am assuming 500k (though i might try 1meg - would this be closer to a 'tone bypass'?)

more importantly - do i get split , smooth, long type of pots ?

what are the originals do you think?  are the long  shaft ones for some thick top les paul or something ?

lastly, I'm considering making my own circuit, since I never use tone controls- I might just ditch them in favor of something else- maybe a master volume like a Gretsch !

maybe :

master vol,, neck volume, bridge volume and .......  ?  hmmmm maybe the last one would be a reversible kill switch like Buckethead! .... or some sort of variable phase circuit pot ? (cant find any way to do this, but it would be cool ).

any thoughts welcome....

I can't help ya on the pots issue, but you should check out those CTS lefty pots and lemme know how they are 8)

Also

:this_thread_is_useless_withou

yeah, if you got a link to cts, lefty push/pulls lemme know ;)

good info , fellas.

I had been perusing the Duncan web site diagrams, but I'm looking for something a little more custom. I think I can figure it out pretty easily, since I don't give a hoot for tone controls anyway, so it's just going to be volumes,master, kill-switch.

it looks like a lefty push pull doesn't exist!  I suppose that wiring them backwards is an option, get the reverse logarithmic mapping -

truth is - i don't use tone controls on a guitar at all! nor do I use volumes that much, except as a way to kill entirely- so I'm seriously considering messing with linear pots- as opposed to the standard audio taper- precisely because I would like to be able to do 'volume pedal'-like effects with a real tiny movement of the wrist - I generally find audio taper pots to be to 'long a throw' and essentially useless to me .....

some experimenting is in order!

Cod ...

I have push pulls on my LP Standard, I had to make up some nylon bushings to accommodate the size of the shafts as they were way too loose. As far as I know the pots are right handed, like yourself I don't use them too much, I always turn them the wrong way.

I have no idea what brand they are as the job was done a long time ago, early '90s, I do remember though that it took the shop a long time to get them. That was "pre-internet" though.

Cod ...

I have push pulls on my LP Standard, I had to make up some nylon bushings to accommodate the size of the shafts as they were way too loose. As far as I know the pots are right handed, like yourself I don't use them too much, I always turn them the wrong way.

I've actually never used a 'lefty' pots AFAIK, so it would probably take some getting used to !

I have no idea what brand they are as the job was done a long time ago, early '90s, I do remember though that it took the shop a long time to get them. That was "pre-internet" though.

Not a single one of my guitars is wired the same way, it's a effing pain in the ass. Some are backwards to get the taper right, some are just plain wrong and argh it's frustrating, one day I'm going to order a lot of those lefty pots and rewire everything so that it makes sense. Until then I'm just going to whine haha.

p-rails are on the way. Gonna take out the entire wirting harness and put it aside, start from scratch with the new pickups.

need wiring, caps, pots...

taking recommendations for suppliers.....

Archived