Heritage Owners Club

H535 String Change

jcyyz

Received a new 535 4 months ago and love it.  It came with roundwounds in a 9/11/16/25/35/45 set as measured by my micrometer.  I'm thinking of putting a set of Thmastik-Infeld 12's flatwounds on.  I have several questions.

1. How's this going to hurt my tone for blues and roots rock?

2. Will I need to setup and intonate the guitar again?

3. I'm trying to learn to fingerpick.  Will the flatwounds be harder to learn with?

Thanks all

Going from 9s to 12s will probably require a truss-rod adjustment, as well as a height adjustment. The intonation may need slight adjustment as well.

I think the recommended gauge for Heritage semi-hollow body guitars is 11s.

I'm sure others will chime in here to help you out.

Going from 9s to 12s will probably require a truss-rod adjustment, as well as a height adjustment. The intonation may need slight adjustment as well.

I think the recommended gauge for Heritage semi-hollow body guitars is 11s.

I'm sure others will chime in here to help you out.

truss rod adj... no possible way..

truss rod adj... no possible way..

I only meant a SLIGHT adjustment, as the 12s will put more tension on the neck, which will tend to raise the strings a bit higher off the fretboard.

I've done/do this on mine; it's no big deal if you know how to do it right.

I could be totally wrong but I though Ren said every guitar was installed with 10s out of the factory and 11s were the biggest guage they support.

My micrometer may need calibration. If so, my set could definitely be 10-46 and that matches your info.  Is that just the 535 or all models?

I put flat 12's on my 158 recently and I'm very excited. tone is up, just feels more solid. of course, harder to bend, but it makes more sense somehow with the bigsby. I find it easier to play with fingers too, with flats. I put 11's on my acoustic also, and I really like that.  I love me some flats, now!

1. Not really, technique will trump string types in that style as far as I'm concerned.

2. Being a new guitar I would get it set up anyway, but moving up in gauge isn't as big of a deal as moving down IMO

3. No clue, I'm terrible with either  :undecided:

I am actually going to try FW 10's on my 535 for the next string change (still has factories as it is new).  The only other times I have used FW's have been on jazz boxes, but always went back to RW's.

I'm going to try the FW's in the same gauge what came from Heritage on the 535 to see what difference, if any, it will make in tone & playability.......

Jim C

Hey JCYYZ,

I have round 10s on my three H-gits but have used 11 & 12 flats on other boxes and find them to be less bright which you might like depending on what you play and play through.

As you suggested your 535 WAS setup, going up will require some nut work as the larger strings will be tighter so you might have tuning issues. There will be greater string tension but since your 535 is new and depending on where you live and how consistant or not, the temps and humidity effects the neck. You most likely need to monitor the relief anyway. My guess is it takes a couple of years for things to settle down and being alert and keeping your 535 neck straight or with your desired relief will pay dividends down the road.

Best tip: after you change the strings, capo on the first fret and see how it plays. That what it feels like with the nut at the perfect height.

I could be totally wrong but I though Ren said every guitar was installed with 10s out of the factory and 11s were the biggest guage they support.

Mike,

You are exactly right.

And yes you definately will need to adjust the trust rod and probably need a full set up.

I'm not telling you not to go for it, but if you call Heritage and speak to Ren he will say they use 10s on the solid & semi-hollow bodies and 11s on archtops. I don't think that 12s are a big stretch for archtops (that's what I use) but for your 535 styles you may want to set the limit at 11s. I know Ren is concerned about caving in the tops with that much string tension.

But hey, don't take my word for it. Call Heritage and ask for Ren about his opinions. That would be my suggestion.

Good luck & enjoy.

All,

Great replies.  I did e-mail Ren and got the same reply that many of you mentioned.  Since the guitar plays well and is in warranty, I'll keep it at 10's for now.  This brings up 2 other questions.

1. The differences between FW and RW are that RW are brighter and feel different.  Correct?  If so, then I could just roll the tone off if there's too much brightness instead of changing to FW.  This should make the guitar more versatile for rock and blues.  Any downsides to that path?

2. Any preference between GHS (Hearitage default according to Ren) and D'Addario (what I use on my other electrics)?

Thanks.

Any preference between GHS (Hearitage default according to Ren) and D'Addario (what I use on my other electrics)?

Thanks.

I prefer D'Addario for RW & FW.....I have used GHS's (RW's) in the past and I just didn't like them.....didn't seem to be as "lively"- even compared to others I have used.  That being said its really a matter of personal preference.

JMHO

Jim C

Archived