Heritage Owners Club

I need a crash course in Mesa Boogie Amps

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

glad you're diggin' it! Yes, you do seem to have a pretty righteous set of stacks there. I'm confused though...did you buy a Mark V OR an Express 5:25 head?

The Mark 5 is available in two different sizes (of heads) and each has different tubes (at least I'm pretty sure anyway). The big Mark 5 head is 90 watts and three banks of dials. There are also different generations of the Mark amplifier, ie Mark 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

I bought the little Mark 5 head which is 25 watts and much smaller in physical size than the regular Mark 5 head. The smaller version is quite loud and has some advantages over the larger version which were ultimately the deciding factor between the two. These advantages are the headphone jack, the built in cab clone so you can run the amp directly (line out) into a board or a recording console.

See photo for what it looks like now.

post-679-0-02886100-1445389915_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Over the years I've had two tremoverbs. They are my reliable and versatile go to. I, in general, prefer 6L6s over EL34s, so the orange channel has a ton of headroom. Not bright highs, just defined. Kinda mixed on whether it "takes pedals" well. I guess it depends on the pedal. I don't use the high gain channel much as the orange channel has plenty of gain when I want it.

Truthfully, if you are considering a Mesa you should also check out Rivera. I've really wanted one of those Fandango combos for a while.

Wish I could provide more info on something light, but the only amp I have in that category is a champ.

T-verbs are very highly regarded on the Mesa Forum and by other guitar players. They are among the old school Mesa amps that have a lot of power, durable, great sounding, and also are very heavy to lift. I think of the T-verb as Randall Smith's better to play through answer to a Fender Twin Reverb, but YMMV.

• 2 months later...

i'm late to this thread party, but as a new Boogie convert i can say it was an informative and entertaining read, especially Hangar18's serial trade, buy, buy, buy tale. Well done!

Thanks for all the above very useful information.

I know that MBs have a great metal rep, but as a jazz player i can say that my 5:50+ is an excellent and versatile jazz head. the 6L6s ,highly workable tone controls and channel options are giving me everything i need from big, round, clean and warm, to vintage fusion to higher gain (enough for me) when i want it. I'm still working on getting a more subtle and softer attack sound for when i need it, but I'm confident I'll find it. At 50 watts I'd liken it to a more versatile, adjustable and manageable Twin Reverb (minus 30 watts). Having the Class A 5 and 25 watt options is great for late night playing and that Class A feel that is hard to come by in a more powerful package. Replacing the stock V1 tube with he higher grade Mesa SPAX7 was a subtle but worthwhile upgrade. Amp is pretty much dead quiet on idle now.

If i got into a rock setting i know it will be strong in the mix and give me a great sound even without pedals. I can get a Blackface mild breakup or a Santana horn-like tone without much fiddling, just tap of the footswitch. I'm having fun going there at home. Allman Bros, Santana, Beatles, their all coming out with this amp. Its been a fun month with it.

Well, it's bad form to buy a new amp when you don't have a job so that's why I've been hiding it until a better moment presents itself to bring it out.

But since I started a new job today, that day is probably a lot closer. I figure that I ought to wait until a few paychecks start coming in and THEN bring it out from hiding. hahaha

That's how you play the GAS addiction game, right? Hide the addiction rather than go to rehab? :P

This one goes on the top 100 HOC posts ever. Ok - maybe top 500, but it is a good one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Archived