Heritage Owners Club

new basketball

zernsireree

The way other forums have dealt with this type of intrusion is to request activation confirmation through a private email address. 

It limits the intrusions from bots, which these could possibly be.

Admin needs to trace route the IP of the sender...It is probably being routed through several servers if it is a bot.

Hey, it could be what's his name at G  ;D

The way other forums have dealt with this type of intrusion is to request activation confirmation through a private email address. 

It limits the intrusions from bots, which these could possibly be.

Admin needs to trace route the IP of the sender...It is probably being routed through several servers if it is a bot.

Hey, it could be what's his name at G  ;D

There are three more pending accounts (edit: not now) which are likely to be spambots as well. The accounts are using free email systems and various IP blocks (in mutliple countries). Looking at the accounts that have been banned already, they're likely using a botnet, which makes it virtually impossible to preempt. The board is already configured to require an activation email, but that's fairly easy to circumvent (e.g., script an automated visit using wget or similar to the link when it arrives) if you really want to, and we are not configured to block requests which use free email (gmail, yahoo, etc.).

At this point, the options are to prevent anyone with a free email address from joining, require manual approval of all new accounts, or ride it out. Or, some combination fo the three. If it gets much worse, I will probably go for the second option first.

Thanks for your patience.

How about a character verification/authentication scheme?

If you mean something like 'captcha', that is already required. It was on 'medium dificulty' so I have upped it to 'high difficulty' which makes it a pain to read. I do not know what effect it has on the automated scripts (captcha has been cracked as a security method).

It also means more work for yours truly.  :'(

Thanks for your time and effort.  I wonder what kind of thrill these guys get out of doing this. I think they need more constructive things to occupy their time.

It also means more work for yours truly.  :'(

Could you share the pain? Maybe the Moderators could help. Or possibly a Members Moderator position? Not sure how that all works. But I think we have enough vested members to handle some extra load.

Archived