Heritage Owners Club

H-140 neck radius

fraidykat

Hello, I've had my 140 for awhile now and love it.  I went to the Heritage site and looked up the specs.  I searched here too, but no luck. 

Is the neck radius 12" for a 140?  Are all of the solid bodies one type and the others another?  If there's a chart or list I'd appreciate someone pointing me to it.

Thanks!

Kate

I asked Ren that question before.

He said all Heritage guitars (like all Gibsons before them) have 12" radius necks.

Hope it helps.

you can make a set of radius gages really easy and check for yourself. some of my heritage necks are closer to 11. check out dan erlwines book, it has a real easy step by step for checking and setting radius at the nut heel and bridge.. A proper set up can make a huge difference in playabilty and even tone..

Yep, Heritages being handmade will have some variance in neck radius, no doubt about it.

But they shoot for a 12" neck radius. Mine are pretty consistent to 11.5" to 12". I can tell a big difference from Heritage neck radius and say the 10" PRS uses.

Just to confuse the issue... The Schaller bridges (commonly used on Heritages) are a different radius which, I seem to recall, causes some buzzing on the 3rd and 4th strings if you try and lower the action too much.

Possibly there's a perfectly good reason for this but I'm damned if I can figure it out ???

I'm not all that enthralled with the roller Schaller on my H-140, but it will probably stay awhile anyway.

I have an old Gibson ABR-1 kicking around my parts box I may eventually put on.

At least I could file the slots and get the radius perfect, if I cared about such things (I don't).

Having the radius match is the least of my technique problems! :rolleyes:

My action's pretty "medium" anyway. I guess I'm just crude. Not sure it would matter were my hands webbed.

Having the radius match is the least of my technique problems! :rolleyes:  My action's pretty "medium" anyway. I guess I'm just crude. Not sure it would matter were my hands webbed.

Same here.  I started playing slide and didn't have to raise the action. 

Archived