Heritage Owners Club

Millie and Me

schundog

All I can say is TGIF! It's been a bit of a crazy week, and I felt the need to get loud tonight after work, picking up the kid from softball, and having dinner. One of my favorite Billy Joel songs is his duet with Ray Charles called "Baby Grand."

Baby Grand (duet with Ray Charles)

Billy Joel

Late at night
When it's dark and cold
I reach out
For someone to hold
When I'm blue
When I'm lonely
She comes through
She's the only one who can
My baby grand
Is all I need

In my time
I've wandered everywhere
Around this world
She would always be there
Any day
Any hour
All it takes
Is the power in my hands
This baby grand's
Been good to me

I've had friends
But they have slipped away
I've had fame
But it doesn't stay
I've made fortunes
Spent them fast enough
As for woman
They don't last with just one man
But baby grand
Will stand by me

They say that no one's gonna play this on the radio
They said the melancholy blues were dead and gone
But only songs like these
Played in minor keys
Keep those memories holding on

I've come far
From the life I've strayed in
I've got scars
From those dives I've played in
Now I'm home
And I'm weary
In my bones
Every dreary one night stand
But baby grand
Came home with me

Ever since this gig began
My baby grand's
Been good to me

Songwriters: BILLY JOEL

That's kind of how I felt tonight when I came downstairs and saw my Millie hanging in the stairway. An old friend... I have neglected it too long, and plugged it into an equally neglected amp, my BillM modded Blues Junior. It sounded great tonight. I haven't played EL84s in a while, and it was a nice switch from 6V6s and 6L6s. There are so many tonal variations available with the Blues Junior, you don't really need any pedals, so I didn't use any. I played and sang everything from Foo Fighter's "Everlong" to Dwight Yoakam's "Ain't That Lonely Yet," to a bunch of Eagles stuff, especially "Tequila Sunrise," which has been running through my head all week, especially the bridge,

"Take another shot of courage, wonder why the right words never come; It just gets numb...." And I HATE Tequila!!

Some Bowling for Soup stuff, Tom Petty, etc. Had my ears ringing pretty good, and my blood pressure down.

Some pics.

A19EA3B6-EC75-4A5A-8E3F-287D4DB8DB08_zps

0C151EA8-DE65-4E46-AE95-670D7FF39167_zps

46F4AC01-533F-45DE-810F-CE2ACCC57C26_zps

Millies, and yours in particular Brian, are incredible guitars. If I didn't have the Thornton Elite (which is almost the same guitar), I would own a Millie for sure!!!

Can't beat strapping on an old friend that has been neglected for a while. Once I stop working 55 hours a week, I may be able to do the same. So your Millie was hanging in the stairway? Hmmmm...and it looks very much like the one I owned that Gitfiddler sold me about 6 years ago, but it has been long gone.

Archived