Heritage Owners Club

How did my sister know I was a Heritage FanBoy she sent me this from the NY Times

Spectrum13

Interesting story. One of the times in my life I was most happy to see a cop was when I worked in a music store as a teenager and had to deal with a situation a bit like this. We had reports of stolen guitars, and, sure enough, a day or two later I was alone working the shop when two guys came in with the guitars described in the warning for sale.

I told the guys I had to check with my boss about the buy and the price, then went in the back and called the owner who told me to write them a check and he would call the bank and stop payment and call the cops. In hindsight, I should have locked the doors as soon as they left, but I didn't --I guess I figured that when the band refused payment they'd know they were caught and take off.

But, they came back to the shop and as soon as they walked in started yelling at me about the check and getting their guitars back. Then, just as they were getting really threatening and I'd run out of excuses for what might have happened a the bank, a cop walked in behind them, so, I said ...maybe you want to talk to this guy. Whew.

Sam Ash's strategy sounds familiar. One of the hardest part of that job was sus'ing out when people were so desperate for cash they would beg you to buy their guitars for nothing --or a dollar or two above the nothing the pawn shops would give them-- or when the instruments they brought in were hot. I guess that hasn't changed.

Archived