Heritage Owners Club

DC Millie vs. 535

LittleLeroy

In reality, there is a new DNA to the 2017 Millie DC's which should bring the tone closer to a 150LW... The new production model is Mahogany back and sides unless you are willing to drop and extra $500-600.

The all maple body DC's are the most unknown models to most and the most appreciated guitars to those that own them.

535 and Prospects are both laminated top/back with similar neck access and body/neck joints... DC's have solid carved tops and backs with a sandwich block.(The only wood around the PUPs is maple)

Great info Guy. Mine is all maple body.

I think a DC Millie will sound more like a H-555 as the tone woods are nearly the same.

Both have a great sound, but the Millie is more of a higher end model then a H-535.

Plus the price tag difference reinforces this argument.

That would be an interesting comparison, since I have a 555 also

Are you coming to PSP?

The new one H-155M DC has Mahogany easily visible through the f holes or trans finishes... ALL Older Millennium DC's have flamed maple backsides, very noticeable.

20160915_122513_zpsf4qtgski.jpg

Unfortunately not. That always seems to fall on the same week we play our WI State fair gigs.

20160915_122410_zpsvhvvuda8.jpg

Unfortunately not. That always seems to fall on the same week we play our WI State fair gigs.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a DC Millie will sound more like a H-555 as the tone woods are nearly the same.

Bingo! I have a Millie DC and had a 555, and the tones were VERY similar (both with HRWs) except for the Millie have a slightly tighter low end. In fact, they were so similar that I sold the 555, since I find the smaller body of the Millie more comfortable.

BTW, I don't find that the Millie sounds anything like my 157. It's got very much a semi-hollow sound, but just a bit tighter and more usable for rock rhythms. The center block doesn't extend up to the neck pickup, so that part of a Millie functions more like a jazz box than even a 535/555 does.

The Millie is probably the most versatile guitar Heritage makes, and with HRWs and making use of the tone controls, you could use it for almost any music genre this side of death metal.

does yours join the body at 16th or 19th? I've been looking at Guy's DC but reconsidered when he told me the neck joint is at the 16th cause I'm used to the 535 and now the Prospect, which join at the 19th. Now I'm wondering if it matters that much....?

Bingo! I have a Millie DC and had a 555, and the tones were VERY similar (both with HRWs) except for the Millie have a slightly tighter low end. In fact, they were so similar that I sold the 555, since I find the smaller body of the Millie more comfortable.

BTW, I don't find that the Millie sounds anything like my 157. It's got very much a semi-hollow sound, but just a bit tighter and more usable for rock rhythms. The center block doesn't extend up to the neck pickup, so that part of a Millie functions more like a jazz box than even a 535/555 does.

The Millie is probably the most versatile guitar Heritage makes, and with HRWs and making use of the tone controls, you could use it for almost any music genre this side of death metal.

does yours join the body at 16th or 19th? I've been looking at Guy's DC but reconsidered when he told me the neck joint is at the 16th cause I'm used to the 535 and now the Prospect, which join at the 19th. Now I'm wondering if it matters that much....?

It joins at the 16th, which I think is true of all Millies. High fret access is one nice thing about the 535/555 or Prospect. In that respect, a Millie is very much like playing a 150/157, where you have to reach for the high frets a little more. The trade-off is more sustain on the higher notes, since there's more mass there.

Archived