Heritage Owners Club

100% nitro old school? or added plasticizers ?

loaded six string

Interesting that this topic would crop up. I was just going to post something similar. My Eric Johnson Strat is finished in nitro. That was one of the big selling points for that guitar. A common disclaimer was that the neck would be sticky because of the nitro, but in time would wear smoother and become extremely "fast". I've been playing that guitar for almost 2 years and the neck is still a bit sticky. Some EJ players have resorted to sanding the neck.

However, none of my Heritages have sticky necks. The new Millie plays quite well, with none of the "nitro issues" I have on the EJ neck. I was going to ask if there were different types of nitro. But maybe this explains something. The finish on the necks of the two brands, altho' both say nitro, feel completely different; and react quite differently.

Interesting that this topic would crop up. I was just going to post something similar. My Eric Johnson Strat is finished in nitro. That was one of the big selling points for that guitar. A common disclaimer was that the neck would be sticky because of the nitro, but in time would wear smoother and become extremely "fast". I've been playing that guitar for almost 2 years and the neck is still a bit sticky. Some EJ players have resorted to sanding the neck.

However, none of my Heritages have sticky necks. The new Millie plays quite well, with none of the "nitro issues" I have on the EJ neck. I was going to ask if there were different types of nitro. But maybe this explains something. The finish on the necks of the two brands, altho' both say nitro, feel completely different; and react quite differently.

Ive read on other forums that Fenders "nitro" finishes are actually nitro OVER a poly base coat. I dont know this as fact, but that seems to be the consensus that people are talking about on the fender forum. If this is true, I dont see the point of having a nitro over poly finish.

Ive read on other forums that Fenders "nitro" finishes are actually nitro OVER a poly base coat. I dont know this as fact, but that seems to be the consensus that people are talking about on the fender forum. If this is true, I dont see the point of having a nitro over poly finish.

The only point I can see in that is marketing a "nitro" finish. Otherwise, why bother, for sure!

The PRS DGT is nitro, and it is sticky.  Supposedly, that goes away.

I can attest the Gibson custom shop uses some sort of plasticisors whereas Fender does not.

I had some masking tape on a Fender strat body (the blue painters kind) and when I pulled it off the adhesive had reacted with the nitro and left marks are all over the body.  I tried polishing them out with everything know to man with no luck.  I had to go down to 400 grit and then work may way back up.  There are still a few marks in there if you know where to look and get the light just right.

Immagine my horror when this happened and I realized I had the same masking tape on my Gword CS-336 to protect the finish while changing pickups and the tape had been on the Gword longer!  I peeled it off, cleaned up the residue with some naptha, polished the geetar with some virtuosso polish and she looked as good as new. 

Archived