Heritage Owners Club

What are the differences between a 110 and a 137?

cosmikdebriis

I was intrigued as to what the differences are between the 110 and 137.

I can certainly see one :rolleyes: but are there any other differences to body size, materials, thickness etc. :undecided:

The necks look identical, unless someone knows different?

I'm not concerned about the hardware but the basic shape.

Oh bollo*ks...  Thanks... My mistake :P

It was the 110 and 170 I meant :rolleyes: and I'll tell you why...

It occurred to me that the strap button was in a different place on the two models. Which made me wonder if one was better balanced than the other.

Perhaps the chambered body makes the difference ???

The 110 is chambered as well.

The 110 is not as deep a double cutaway and is asymmetrical.

The 170 is a symmetrical double cutaway.

I might say the 110 feels a little smaller and lighter.

I thought about getting an unchambered (solid one-piece) 110.

Hey, you never know. Maybe I could go mug some rich English chap?!?  :P ;D

Hey, you never know. Maybe I could go mug some rich English chap?!?  :P ;D

Hobbledehoy... >:D

I must say I'm confused as to why the "thinner" guitars are chambered. I would have thought you'd need all the mass you can get so as not to sacrifice sustain?

It's all very confusing :rolleyes:

my millie ltd is hollow and has great sustain, of course not quite as god as my 575 which is hollow as well  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

My thoughts exactly.

And then there are those that think a lighter guitar sounds & sustains better (who knows).

I keep coming back to Yoslate's... "Just play the f***ing thing". If she sounds good who cares about over-marketed gimics like chambering, weight, long vs. short tendons, ect..  "Just play the f***ing thing".

My thoughts exactly.

And then there are those that think a lighter guitar sounds & sustains better (who knows).

I keep coming back to Yoslate's... "Just play the f***ing thing". If she sounds good who cares about over-marketed gimics like chambering, weight, long vs. short tendons, ect..   "Just play the f***ing thing".

On the whole I quite agree... So long as the neck is stable, the rest seems of minor importance. I must say the necks on all of my Heritages are perfectly stable. I have no complaints whatever the tenon may be. 8)

The only real difference I've noticed from chambered bodies is that they are louder "unplugged" :rolleyes:... Oh.... and a little easier on the shoulders... :wink:

As for sustain... Well there are just so many contributory factors... :wink:

If I remember our conversation correctly Vince told me the biggest difference is where the neck meets the body - the 170 joins around the 16th fret and the 110 gives you a few more frets of access to get up on the higher notes easier

Don't discount the balance issue.  The strap pin placement on the 110 means it will hang very differently (more like a 150) than the 170, which will hang from a strap more like an SG does, with the neck pushed further away from you and the center of gravity more towards the body.  It seems like a minor issue to some, but over time it's a lot nicer to play a guitar that feels right to you.

I'd definitely want a non-chambered 110 over a 170.

Don't discount the balance issue.  The strap pin placement on the 110 means it will hang very differently (more like a 150) than the 170, which will hang from a strap more like an SG does, with the neck pushed further away from you and the center of gravity more towards the body.  It seems like a minor issue to some, but over time it's a lot nicer to play a guitar that feels right to you.

The 100s are definitely chambered (unless you can order a solid 110 ???? I don't know.)

The 100s are definitely chambered (unless you can order a solid 110 ???? I don't know.)

Sorry typo.

I meant to say 110s are definitely chambered. I held the first one at the plant and I think it is around 6lbs. I asked if they could make me a solid one and Marv said "I'm pretty sure we can". Well I got side tracked with more p-90 heavier (525 & 535 p-90) so I never ordered one.

This has been my experience with my 170, the way it hangs feels odd to me, and access to the higher frets is inhibited due to strap pin placement and construction design. I'll be placing an order for my last new guitar,

a Heritage 110, sometime this year.

Archived