Heritage Owners Club

Guitar stands and nitrocelulose lacquer

GuitArtMan

It's a fairly well known fact that the surgical rubber used in many guitar stands reacts in a bad way with nitrocelulose lacquer.  In fact when I searched for guitar stands many said not for use with nitrocelulose lacquer!  So, does anybody know of a high quality stand that can be used with nitrocelulose lacquer?  I remember a while back seing some nice booties you could put over the rubber to protect the guitars finish, that weren't too expensive, but I can't for the life of me remember where or what they were called.  Anybody know what I'm talking about?

i have never seen those?  that would be nice to have though.

i bought one of those "rock stands" from MF that holds 6 guitars...i assume they used the BAD rubber on those, but i have not seen any spots on my guitars yet?

Some people just put rags or socks around the rubber.

I bought an "el cheapo" stand last year that held 3 guitars. I had my H150, LP Custom, and SG Supreme on the stand FOR ONE NIGHT, and all the guitars got discolored. I promptly returned the stand to the store the next day, and the store owner was puzzled why it did it. He stated he keeps other guitars on them, and no harm comes to them. I saw the guitars that were on them, and they were the kinds of guitars that had the rock-hard polyurethane finish on them. I owned one of those types of guitars years ago--even paint stripper wouldn't touch the finish!

So, I ended up with a Gator stand from Musician's Fiend.

width=312 height=480http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/6/1/9/427619.jpg[/img]

i have never seen those?  that would be nice to have though.

i bought one of those "rock stands" from MF that holds 6 guitars...i assume they used the BAD rubber on those, but i have not seen any spots on my guitars yet?

If you've been putting your Heritages on them without any ill effects then they are probably fine.  I remember years ago (early '80s) gertting stands that had two sets of rubber - one was the stock nasty stuff and the other was the new and improved nitro friendly stuff.  I guess they found out after making the stands, and found it less expensive to ship two sets of rubber rather than replacing the existing rubber.

I've been using the Silver Creek all wooden stands for my nitro acoustics as well as my 550 and 535. They only support the guitar from the bottom, so I glued some 1/4 inch thick cork to the curved supports. They grip the guit nicely and I have been using these for years with no marks on the instruments. Of course, they are only used in my studio and not out gigging since it would be easy to knock the guitar off the stand. No kids, dogs, or cats in the studio either!

I remember a while back seing some nice booties you could put over the rubber to protect the guitars finish, that weren't too expensive, but I can't for the life of me remember where or what they were called.  Anybody know what I'm talking about?

They are called guitar stand bras.  I am dead serious.  Google it and you will find 2 or 3 companies selling them.  I think the set (upper and lower) is somewhere in the $10-15 range.

Jim C

Stand-Bra Padded Guitar Stand Cover (SB1)

In Stock

A must have for your tubular guitar stand! Guitar finishes, especially those with real Nitrocelluose lacquer will react violently with the rubber on guitar stands.

This item is made of plus black fabric with velcro fasteners, and slips over the neck rest and u shaped part of your guitar stand to protect the finish of your instrument.

Archived