Heritage Owners Club

The 575 Project

Plentine

Thanks in advance to all who have answered my many questions about the wiring harness replacement for my 2006 H-575.  The 575 Project is finally underway!  I've taken the opportunity to buff out scratches and swirl marks while it is naked.  Final buff and polish just before wire harness installation.  The cardboard cutout is courtesy of Frankhond from this forum.

The plan is to install HRW pickups with 500K pots and using 50's wiring with push/pull tone pots to split the coils as pictured below. I have Emerson PIO .022 caps for the bridge and considering Emerson PIO .015 caps for the neck (good or bad idea?).  I'm thinking of using other push/pull pots to create a 2 capacitor option as pictured below as well for more tone control, just for fun.  Which 2 capacitors would you use?  Any other mods you would suggest while at this phase?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  The 575 project starts today!  

575 top 2.jpg

575 top.jpg

575 back.jpg

50s wiring diagram to use WITH PUSH PULL ON  TONE POTS.jpg

2 capacitors on push pull pot.jpg

cardboard cutout.jpg

Do yourself a favor before you start. Get a cheap guitar cable with a molded end. You need the type with 2 straight ends, about 6 feet long. Cut it in half, so you will make two of these tools. Whittle the plastic off the end of the plug, but keep the plug in place, so it will fit through the jack hole. Then thread the cable through the jack hole into the guitar. You will need to be able to grab it through the pickup or the F hole, wherever you decide to install the wiring harness from. Plug the plug into the jack and use it to pull the jack into place when you install the harness. It will make your job much, much easier. 

Also, I use 1/4” aquarium air supply line (tubing - available at Home Depot) to help pull the pots into place. The tubing fits snugly over the split in split-shaft pots, and makes it pretty easy to pull them up through the holes. 

I have used 15 nF caps on the neck pickup and I really like it. If you were to add another cap, I would keep it around 6.8 nF so that total adds up close to 22 nF when both are in the circuit (caps in parallel add together).  I question whether that complexity is needed though. With an audio taper tone pot, you should be able to get really fine adjustment capability on the amount of high frequency roll off you want with just a singe cap of whatever value you like. I tend to like a brighter-sounding neck pickup, so I like the 15 nF. If you like a darker sound, go with the 22. 

Thanks for your message, Cobo.  I appreciate your aquarium tubing tip.  The push/pull double capacitor pot would give you the ability to switch between 2 caps and not to combine both caps.  It would be one of the other.  I was considering putting a .015 and a .022 on the push pull pot to give some more tones to play with.  Might as well use 4 push/pull pots to create something different for the wiring harness before putting it in.

Archived