Heritage Owners Club

CC H-150, first time adjusting bridge height...

analogs

Took me forever to figure out that the caps on top were meant to be unscrewed. The terribly, terribly designed caps. 

One of them is stripped (is it plastic? Why is the slot so ENORMOUS?) and absolutely will NOT budge. I've tried WD-40 and rubber bands and everything else. The cap on the other side of the bridge came right out. 

Any suggestions?

I haven't owned a custom core, so not sure what bridge is being used on these; I know I remember hearing they were locking bridges (don't move/fall off when changing strings), so that would be why they are meant to unscrewed. Usually these don't put up much of a fuss to remove or adjust though. Is there perhaps a small set screw on the side of bridge that you may have missed? 

The bridge is the same concept as the Faber locking bridge.  You use a flathead screwdriver to loosen the top locking threads then adjust the height of the bridge with the thumb wheels.  Then tighten the top threads with the screwdriver to lock the the bridge position.  The Faber (and this Pinnacle bridge, a Faber copy) are ingenious and high quality bridges.  These bridges lock so they won't move when all the strings are off.  Plus there is an increased in sustain because the bridge isn't moving when it's played, the energy of the strings is not dissipated.  These locking bridges are much better than the Tone Pro junk that use allen set-screws, that are a pain to tighten, strip the threads on the bridge posts, and get lost.

I agree there should be some instructions given with the guitar on how to adjust the bridge if you aren't familiar with this locking style.   I'm not sure how the threaded cap could have gotten stripped unless you used the wrong size screwdriver or tried to over tighten the cap screws.

Here is a link to where you can buy some extra cap screws (the otherparts you don't need).  I bought an extra set of cap screws just to have as a backup for my Custom Core.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/bridge-and-tailpieces/replacement-locking-bridge-posts-for-hp-and-pinnacle-bridges/

Archived