Heritage Owners Club

Acoustic pickup?

High Flying Bird

I got a pickup installed in the bridge of my Heritage H-445 when I bought it.  I haven't used it much in the last 10 years or so but I plugged it in the other day and I didn't like the way it sounded.  It was way too tinny sounding.

I want to get a sound close to the big jazz boxes.  I am sure the technology has advanced over the last 20 years but I have not keep up with it.  What pick ups would you guys recommend?

HFB:

I needed an acoustic pickup for a twelve string a few years ago, did some research, and ending up buying/installing a schertler bluestik system.  It's been reliable, is far less tinny and thin sounding than the first-generation undersaddle pickups, was cheaper than the combo undersaddle/mic systems available then and didn't require drilling any holes.  Has a volume control wheel that mounts just under the soundhole ... a lifesaver to set an upper limit before feedback, then I use my volume pedal.  If I needed to buy another pickup/onboard pre-amp, I'd definitely check out what schertler has to offer --they seem to get it as far as offering a good sounding, simple product at a decent(though not cheap) price. 

That said, if you're after that prototypical jazz hollowbody sound, the way to go might be a magnetic pickup, either soundhole or end-of-fingerboard.  These are cheaper since they don't require a preamp, and have progressed enormously too, I think, but I don't have any recent experience. 

Fishman Aura gets pretty good reviews.  Ovation used a modified Aura system for the piezo pickup system in their hybrid VXT that they rolled out last summer.  They now have a line of pedals with the Aura system built in, designed for various types of acoustic guitar (jumbo, dreadnaught, etc.).  You might be able to dial an acceptable tone in with something like that.

Thanks for the response.  I looked at a Fishman system today but it was very expensive. ($350)  I think a sound hole pick up is what I want but like I said I haven't had any experience with the new stuff.

I have to say that the tone, for lead, of this guitar is so sweet.  Gentle and pure.  The neck plays a lot like my buddy's 550 neck but with a rosewood finger board.

Archived