Heritage Owners Club

pick up replacement

martintj

Just purchased a 2003 H535 in mint condition. So far I am pleased by the tone and it plays very well. My quetion is: What p 90 or P92 pick ups fit into a 535 without alterations. Iv'e heard that Fralins sound good but I cannot find out if Fralins fit right in. The man at fralin did not know about the fit but he did say that Fralin has a liberal return policy. Oh the guitar has HRW pick ups now. I'd like to try something else.

I agree that the phat cats are great. I had a set in an H-150 special and was impressed with the tone.  Many of the pickup manufacturers make a humbucker sized P-90.  Another one I liked was the Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen, but they're a little pricey.

I've tried so many P90's and found the tone I wanted with Pete Bitloffs P90's.

I Compared them to Duncan, Lindy, Lollar and Gibson in a Hamer Monaco Elite Gold Top. 

Pete's pups where more open and full, just full of harmonic overtones. I liked his P90's so much I had him build a custom set of minibuckers for me, and they killed the Gibsons in my old Les Paul.

One of the fantastic features of Pete's P90 pup's is the ability to easily change out magnets. So you have AlNiCo II, III, and V or Ceramics(not for me) with the same pickup. You can really dial in the guitar to the tone you are seeking. 

Just my 2 cents

http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/windows/hum90puWin.html

I talked to Jason Lollar about HB sized P90s. He doesn't actually have them on his website. But said he does make them when asked. Thing is, you have to call him and request them. He's got some caveats about what P90s should sound like and wants to make sure the buyer understands that getting an HB sized P90 sacrifices something. He says it's the nature of the beast.

I've heard nothing but GOOD about BG pups.  He makes these that would fit well and they are a little less expensive.  Oh, and..........  :this_thread_is_useless_withou

http://www.bg-pups.com/h90.html

+1 on that! I've got 2 P90s from Bryan Gunsher; both the H90 and the Pure90. Love 'em. I've got two of his 60's Strat winds in my S101; and it really makes that guitar sound real! And I have a custom wound stacked HB/SC for the Eric Johnson Strat. Can't say enough good stuff about Bryan's pickups.

...change the HRW's well you'll regret it. I'll bet...before you make up your mind check out the poll: Heritage Owners Club > General Category > The Family Tree (Moderator: Thundersteel) > Favorite Pickups in a Heritage solid body

Oh the guitar has HRW pick ups now. I'd like to try something else.

Would you trade the HRW's if you swap the pup's ?

If "yes", pls. send message.

Regards

Wolfi

...change the HRW's well you'll regret it. I'll bet...before you make up your mind check out the poll: Heritage Owners Club > General Category > The Family Tree (Moderator: Thundersteel) > Favorite Pickups in a Heritage solid body

I disagree. The p-90 sound vs HRWs is very different & distinctive. It's almost comparable to a Single coil (well p-90s are a type of single coil) vs a humbucker.

I assume that the poster here knows what a humbucker sounds like, as well as how a p-90 sounds. Now if he was saying he wanted to change his HRWs for Seth Lovers, or Burstbuckers, ect... then you may have a point.

I disagree. The p-90 sound vs HRWs is very different & distinctive. It's almost comparable to a Single coil (well p-90s are a type of single coil) vs a humbucker.

I assume that the poster here knows what a humbucker sounds like, as well as how a p-90 sounds. Now if he was saying he wanted to change his HRWs for Seth Lovers, or Burstbuckers, ect... then you may have a point.

...well I wouldn't change them but you're right.

i also had a set of bg pup's pure 90s in my es-333 at one point, and they were just trancendent, especially at the neck position.  though i later took them out because i needed the bucker sound, i bought a smokestack humbucker off of him and that is also pretty awesome.  great guy, great prices, and a great communicator.  go ahead and shoot him an email and he'll be happy to help.

Archived