Heritage Owners Club

solid spruce vs solid maple tops

eor

please compare and contrast, for those of us who don't know.  thanks!  personally, my solid maple top is a les paul, and my solid spruce is my larrivee acoustic, so i don't know what i'm talking about.  i'm asking about the various hollowbodies that heritage makes.

good news/bad news-

good news- i figured out the search feature :)

bad news- i may be better suited for a maple guitar, which is currently the more expensive option.  something came up and i was hoping i could cheap out.  nope.  i'm very much an "electric" player and generally use all kinds of volume, gain and effects.  i do a lot of clean stuff, but not pristine jazz clean.

i did play some really nice spruce top (hofners, they were) and they sounded wonderful unplugged, but would feedback before i even plugged it in.  but i did try them though a low watt, single channel tube amp and didn't use any type of feedback protection, so maybe that had something to do with it.  but i picked up a gretsch right after and it fed back about as much; only a little less.

Don't know what to tell you about using a jazz guitar to play heavily distorted music! On the Gretsch tip however, lots of guys rock Gretsch hollow bodies at high volumes (Setzer, Rev Horton Heat, Eagles of Death Metal, etc.). Sounds like an amp issue or pilot error if you were getting uncontrollable feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
on the 575, the maple top is brighter, and the spruce is warmer and louder (unpluged) .. hope that helps

I have a maple top but like them both..

Bob - you have a Spruce top 575?  Is it the mahogany model?

Bob - you have a Spruce top 575?  Is it the mahogany model?

No, my 575 has a maple top... I have played a spruce top 575 at elderly, it was much deeper and a little louder.

The spruce top option on the 575 is definitely more expensive.

Archived