Heritage Owners Club

Heritage and Duesenberg guitars

zookroo1

Hey everybody.  Anyone have the chance to play and compare a Heritage H535 and a Duesenberg Starplayer TV?  They both seem like pretty cool guitars but I've never had a chance to hear either in person.  I realize they are different in many ways but wondered if anybody has had experience with both.  The Duesenberg's P90 pickup seems pretty sweet.  If you any any info or opinions let hear em!  Thanks!

Brian

Bought my H535 from Mojo's Music in Edwardsville, Il. He's also a Duesenberg dealer. Played one after I'd bought the 535. Not sure which model. It was more like a '150series than a 535. I thought it was a good guitar. A bit high on the richter scale, but still a nice stick. I know that's no real comparison. But they aren't PoS. But they aren't something I'm jonsing after, either. You could call Bob at Mojo's and ask. He'd give you the straight dope.

Hi Brian,

I have had (and will again soon) Duesenberg Starplayer TVs and 535 in the shop at the same time. I always have 535s and the lefty Duesenbergs are really hard to get. I've been waiting 16 months for my last order. I think the Duesenberg shop is a lot like Kalamazoo in that the guitars are low volume and hand made.

The P90/Hum combination is really nice on the Starplayer. They have done a good job matching the output so there is not a big volume difference switching between the two.   The Starplayer is the size of a 150, but weighs less than a 535. The pickups sound great in all 3 configurations. I don't even think of the 535 and Starplayer being anything alike. Like a Strat and Tele are not alike. Hard to compare the two. I really like both body styles and what each can do. Now I'm thinking I should order a 535  with a Lollar p90 and a Lollar Imperial like the Starplayer. That would be an interesting (and probably great) guitar. Reverend has a guitar, the Double Agent, that has a P90/Hum also.

I've played a Duesenberg at Mojo's in Edwardsville also. A couple years back when I got my 535.

I thought for the money it wasn't too happening. The Heritage was miles ahead in fit, finish and playability. The Dus. needed a set up badly and I've played MANY korean/chinese guitars that were better right out of the box.

The scoop on the Dusens are they are very very inconsistent.

plexi

I've played a Duesenberg at Mojo's in Edwardsville also. A couple years back when I got my 535.

I thought for the money it wasn't too happening. The Heritage was miles ahead in fit, finish and playability. The Dus. needed a set up badly and I've played MANY korean/chinese guitars that were better right out of the box.

The scoop on the Dusens are they are very very inconsistent.

plexi

I can't agree with that. A friend of mine ownes four Duesenbergs and they are all very high quality. None of them is older than 2 years (maybe they had quality issues earlier).

But you can't compare Duesenbergs and Heritage guitars anyway. Duesenbergs are very modern designed guitars. They sound great (maybe someone had the chance to listen to Robbie McIntosh as a sideman of Nora Jones). In the meantime I checked out the new Mike Campbell model, which is just great. But the Duesenbergs are not my cup of tea.

I miss that special Kalamazoo traditional Heritage feeling. :)

From my point of view the Heritage is already a classic.

The Duesenberg is a (great) newbie. I go for the classic.

Thanks for the opinions.  I figured that there wouldn't be as much love for the Duesenberg here in the Heritage forum but I always like to hear what people have to say.  I like a variety of different guitars and think the H535 and the Duesenberg Mike Campbell would be a pretty cool combo. 

Archived