Heritage Owners Club

575- Maple top or Spruce?

Jazzpunk

I'm close to being able to order a new 575 but am hung up on one point. Should I go maple top or spruce? I was pretty much set on the standard maple top but than I heard some Mimi Fox instructional videos in which she was playing her 575 custom with a spruce top and the tone was so rich and warm!

I spoke at length with one of the guys at Wolfe (very friendly and helpful) about this and was able to discern that one major difference would be that the spruce top would sound better unplugged. While this would be cool when sitting on the couch and strumming, I'm more concerned with the amplified tone.

How much of a factor will the wood have on the amplified tone as opposed to the pick ups and amplifier? Will both the spruce top and the maple sound relatively the same when amplified or will there be major differences? If either option will sound relatively the same when amplified than I will go for the maple top in order to save some dough!

So, pro/cons? What would you go for and why?

so lets beat this dead horse some more... when I bought my 575 maple top.. I drove from mt. plesant mi to elderly in east lansing... 1hr 15 min... drive. I  and spent four hours playing all the guitars I could Untill the 575 was IT! 

Go play the guitars .. you will bond with one .. if you don't ... keep walking...

so lets beat this dead horse some more... when I bought my 575 maple top.. I drove from mt. plesant mi to elderly in east lansing... 1hr 15 min... drive. I  and spent four hours playing all the guitars I could Untill the 575 was IT! 

Go play the guitars .. you will bond with one .. if you don't ... keep walking...

I hear ya. I made the San Diego trip once before to buy my 535 from GuitArtMan and it was well worth the trip!

This time around it would be the same drive time but without the pay off as I can't afford the spruce top that Buffalo Bros has in stock! Ordering one from Wolfe will still be expensive though so the trip would be worthwhile no doubt.

Still curious to hear opinions in terms of amplified tones though. The guy from Wolfe was of the opinion that the spruce top would be great for strumming around the house or in mellow settings whereas the maple top would more than suffice for amplified settings.

I've watched all the Mimi Fox vids on youtube and I noticed that her maple top performances are much brighter sounding than her instructional vid with the spruce top (preferred the spruce top vids). Of course there are many factors contributing to this like environment, amp, etc so hard to know how much the wood is contributing to the tone.

FWIW $.02

I don't notice a significant difference between the two when amplified.  I can get either to go well into each other's territory and can compensate for most of the rest.  The Maple does sound tinnier acoustically but I don't find it undesirable.

FWIW $.02

I don't notice a significant difference between the two when amplified.  I can get either to go well into each other's territory and can compensate for most of the rest.  The Maple does sound tinnier acoustically but I don't find it undesirable.

Pretty much what I was wondering. Thanks Steiner.

I have owned/own both and like both. 

I found that acoustically the spruce was warmer and the maple was brighter....I didn't find any difference in the resonant volume- given the same model guitar.  When playing through an amplifier, I do agree with Steiner that you can get alot of resonant difference/overlap which then can be compensated for through amp adjustments & settings--assuming that the electronics are the same.

Given that, I would choose the guitar that plays the best for you & and your style music, then let the aestethics play part.......personally I would choose a beautiful maple top, sides and back in natural finish-- you might as well look good playing.  In fact, I am currently looking at such a maple 575 for my collection.

JMHO

Jim C

I have owned/own both and like both. 

I found that acoustically the spruce was warmer and the maple was brighter....I didn't find any difference in the resonant volume- given the same model guitar.  When playing through an amplifier, I do agree with Steiner that you can get alot of resonant difference/overlap which then can be compensated for through amp adjustments & settings--assuming that the electronics are the same.

Thanks for the insights Jim. Good luck with your hunt!

Archived