Heritage Owners Club

My only beef with Heritage/my new H-150 is.....

jamison162

I wish the frets were at least 1 size bigger.  A little wider, sure..but mainly taller!!!  Everything else is fine or correctable.  I guess in 10 yrs, I can think about a refret.

I don't know why they screw up a prefectly fine LP with these small frets.

If you love the guitar but not the frets, why not have it re-fretted now?  To me that's like buying a Ferrari, and then putting cheap bald tires on it.  I'm about to send this beauty to Michael Tuttle of bestfrets to have a re-fret, not because the frets are worn but because I want different frets:

width=600 height=450http://home.san.rr.com/renkluaf/535_front.jpg[/img]

I've Michael do two complete re-frets for me in the past, as well as two of his signature set ups (fret level/crown/polish, nut work).  Personally, If I buy a Heritage or a G word I just factor in to the equation it's gonna need some fret work to play it's best, and that might easilly mean a re-fret.  I know there are the Plek lovers out their that think it's the gretest invention since the wheel, but in my case all of my pleked guitars played better after sending them to Michael.  No more pleked up guitars for me!!!   ;D

Indeed!  I'll second GuitArt on this (again; I think we've been over this in another thread recently).  Never thought much about having fret and nut work done...until I did.  My cherished Paul (a great one!), which I've had for thirty-two years, got a re-fret and nut last summer.  My tech, Tom, is an artist.  Beautiful work!  It just isn't the same terrific guitar..it's even better!  I'll have to consult the paperwork in the case (at home) for the details on the wire, but it's a tall one.  I'll post specifics later this evening.  Once I get a little ahead ($), I'm going to have all of mine re-fretted to the same spec.  And if my special order Super isn't up to snuff, I'll have that one redone in a New York minute, too. 

One thing this site has made me much more aware of is the amazing variety of very high quality aftermarket options for any given instrument, what they are, and where to get them...invaluable information.  I love and play all eleven of my instruments regularly, but now, rather than continue to acquire, I look forward to refining those I have.  GuitArt inquires, "If you love the guitar but not the frets, why not have it re-fretted now?"  Finances permitting, I can't think of a good reason not to. 

In my limited experience with re-fret, the effect on the binding is minimal.  An original binding will have the slightest of "tab" up over some of the end of the original fretwire.  One need look closely to see that.  On a re-fretted instrument, that slight "tab" will, of necessity, have been removed with the original fretwire.  A good luthier does such close, refined work that the finished product is scarcely noticeable from the original.  Oh, yeah; my re-fret was 6105, now that you mention it.  That is the wire for me!

If you love the guitar but not the frets, why not have it re-fretted now?
A good idea, but check to see if your frets were done with the Plek system at the factory. If so, i would think twice about refretting, unless you want to also get the new frets Plek'd.

Well, yeah, finances mainly.  We're talking $200+ here right?  Does a refret botch the binding much?

And what frets do you guys prefer?  I like 6105 or 6100 jumbo's; regular nickel, not SS.

Yeah, a "good" fret job aint cheap.  I'd expect to pay more in the $300+ range for a bound neck.  A good luthier will not crack the binding during the re-fret.  With a bound neck you have a decision to make:  re-do the frit nibs or not.  Personally, I prefer not to have the fret nibs and instead have the luthier fret over the binding to the edge of the fingerboard.  This gives just a little more freting sufrace area which increases the playabilty imho and doesn't change the feel at all.  Of course there are those who like the fret nibs (there only purpose is cosemetic).  It will cost more to have the fret nibs redone.

I personally like 6100 fret wire.  I had my Les Paul done with 6100 and it playes incredible.  I'm going to have the 535 done with 6100 wire as well.  Just curios, why don't you like stainless steel wire?  I've had two guitars re-fretted with stainless steel and they play so smoooooottthhh and contrary to poular belief I didn't notice a change in tone.

A good idea, but check to see if your frets were done with the Plek system at the factory. If so, i would think twice about refretting, unless you want to also get the new frets Plek'd.

Im my case I would never pay money to have my guitar pleked up.  In my experience with several pleked Heritages and a pleked Suhr, a good luthier beats the plek any day of the week. 

Archived