Heritage Owners Club

adding push pull coil tap?

cod65

Hi, I've got an H158 with Seymour Duncans . I'd like to look into having the volume or tone controls fitted with push pull switches to get the pickups into single coil mode, if possible.  I think I have 4 conductor wiring on the pickups, but I cant really see in there.

Anybody done this to their axe ?

I was dismayed to find out its cheaper to do this to a solid body, but I guess Ican see why.

just trying to add single coi switching without making holes!

anybody comment on the sound of SD's in single coil ? is it worth it ? I have an old Carvin that does this and it works- not the best single coil sound, but sometimes it is useful.

would be neat on a semi-hollow, no ?

I've been thinking about doing the same thing to my H555. It has HRW's, which are tappable. Thought it would be nice to change the volume pots to push/push coil taps, instead of push/pull, just my own preference. That and a bone nut. I haven't made up my mind to go for it yet.

cod65: I've got a lefty LP Standard with two Shadow EQ5 active humbuckers with push/pull pots for coil tap.

It gives a greater variety of sounds but the single coil sound is in no way near as loud as the humbucking sound. I can't say that I actually use the single coil sounds much though, but on occasion it can be useful.

The push /pull pots are neat though, no extra holes or drilling required.

I can post pics if you like, but I'm not sure if it is the allowed to post pics of the G brand here.

thanks for the offer to post .I think I can get the idea without you having to reveal your 'illicit' wares(g-word).

i think my 79 carvin has a similar underwhelming response from the single coil. I  wonder if manufacturers have experimented with different points along the coil tap, in order to change the length of a single coil wrapped in a humbucker ? Of course they have .... just seems to me that the single coil mode of a humbucker is not usually very hot- but would it be if it were tapped to make it a shorter length of coil?

hmmm ...... maybe a good reason to try 'rolling one's own'

Here's my good deed of the day...

I've always rewired my LP's to tap single coils, there's many configurations on doing this, but I tend to use one push/push pot to split both the neck and bridge coils at the same time.

Push/pull pots are easier to come by, but push/push pots are much easier and quicker to use when playing.

There's a load of wiring diagrams here : http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/categor...pickupdiagrams/

All you need is a soldering iron and a bit of common sense.

It will make your guitar far more versitle, good luck

Peter

Coil taps came standard on my H170... I had heard that the split coil would sound like Strat. Not the case... when split they sound like a Telecaster with

spank to spare. I don't get the chance to use the split-coil option often... but when I'm playing along with my Dwight Yoakam records I can almost replicate that Pete Anderson sound.... certainly passable.

I fited my Heritage 550 with coil tapped push/pull on the tone knobs.  Works very nice, although when in single mode, the pups sound a bit thin.  I do find it useful, however.  I have Seymour Dunan Pearly Gates.

hmm. I dunno if I;ve got the skills to wire it on a semi hollow  though.  solid body would be easy, but .....

any tutorials ?

First, I would always use the tone pots for coil tap switching, instead of the volume pots. Just because you usually use your volume pots more often, you can avoid the risk of unwanted switching that way.

Another nice idea I came across a while ago, is to use one of the tone pots for master tone and the other for switchless coil tapping. The advantage would be that you actually can "dial in" the amount from single coil to humbucking signal you want, without the "dramatic" loss of signal that occurs when single coil switching is used on a humbucker.

Unfortunately, I don't have the wiring diagram available but it won't be to hard to find it on the internet I guess. I did not use this wiring on my H150 Ultra, so I cannot give a review about the sound(s).

Archived