Heritage Owners Club

Is the 550 a blues rebel or a jazz machine?

Jazzpunk

I've been thinking of eventually adding a 525 to the roster but I rarely see them come up for sale used. I'm not opposed to buying a new one but I'm starting to hanker for a 550 as well.

I've strung up my 575 with flatwounds but when it had roundwounds on it, I was thinking it could make a mighty fine blues guitar. Maybe the 550 would fit the bill?

Anyone here using there 550 for blues? Would the 550 offer enough tonal difference from the 575 or do you think I'd be better off saving up for a 525 (and yes, I really want both!). Currently my 535 is my blues weapon of choice but it would be nice to have another option.

Anyone here using there 550 for blues?

Sometimes when I play at Joe's I leave the 535 at home and play his 550. It has weaker Schaller pups than my 535 has but the same strings. (DR Pure Blues 10s) I play a lot of blues on it in between songs and during breaks. It has a deeper sound, that you can feel, than the 535. Even acoustically. It makes a good rock guitar too especially when you use controlled feedback.

The ebony fretboard has a nice grit that makes the notes shine. There are times when I really connect with the 550. More than likely a 550 will be my next guitar.

Sometimes when I play at Joe's I leave the 535 at home and play his 550. It has weaker Schaller pups than my 535 has but the same strings. (DR Pure Blues 10s) I play a lot of blues on it in between songs and during breaks. It has a deeper sound, that you can feel, than the 535. Even acoustically. It makes a good rock guitar too especially when you use controlled feedback.

The ebony fretboard has a nice grit that makes the notes shine. There are times when I really connect with the 550. More than likely a 550 will be my next guitar.

Nice! Thanks for the review.

Is that Joe's 550 that is featured in your photo album? It's a real beauty!

Yep. It is a fine looking guitar.

Archived