Heritage Owners Club

Any electronic DIY'er out there?

DLDTEX

It is has been a while since I posted a question. I have seen posts from one or two of you that have put together an amp or amps. But there are so many possible DIY projects to do I bet there is some interesting one of a kind gear out there. I have several kits from David Allen that I put together. I am currently putting together a JTM 50 from parts I have gathered over the years and transformers/chassis from Metro Amp. I have been thinking of building stomp box from a kit from BYOC.

I would like to know of any other resources that others may have tapped into. Thanks in advance

Good to see another amp builder. I don't have any suggestions as far as what

to build but if you want to better understand what you're doing there are several

good books by Norman Crowhurst that deal with tube circuits. The books were

written in the 50's when tubes were in and they're fairly easy to read.

This site has a ton of scanned books and manuals :

These are a good read :

High-Fidelity Circuit Design
Norman Crowhurst and George Cooper, 1957, 296 pages -

Basic Audio
Norman Crowhurst, 1959

(114 pages)
4.2MB PDF file

(122 pages)
4.1MB PDF file

(113 pages)
3.2MB PDF file

Here's another site with more interesting articles, including some by Joseph Marshall

who also wrote some good books :

A fantastic forum is the Music Electronics Forum which is full of people building

tube amps and effects.

Good to see another amp builder. I don't have any suggestions as far as what

to build but if you want to better understand what you're doing there are several

good books by Norman Crowhurst that deal with tube circuits. The books were

written in the 50's when tubes were in and they're fairly easy to read.

This site has a ton of scanned books and manuals :

These are a good read :

High-Fidelity Circuit Design
Norman Crowhurst and George Cooper, 1957, 296 pages -

Basic Audio
Norman Crowhurst, 1959

(114 pages)
4.2MB PDF file

(122 pages)
4.1MB PDF file

(113 pages)
3.2MB PDF file

Here's another site with more interesting articles, including some by Joseph Marshall

who also wrote some good books :

A fantastic forum is the Music Electronics Forum which is full of people building

tube amps and effects.

Thanks for the links. There is some pretty good stuff here. And I agree that it is easy to read.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just finishing up a 6V30 kit from Ted Weber with a local amp tech. Should be done on Monday and then I will be able to say I've at least contributed to a build! I've really enjoyed it though so I have a feeling this might become a lifelong deal.

Good to know at the age of 22! :D

I'm just finishing up a 6V30 kit from Ted Weber with a local amp tech. Should be done on Monday and then I will be able to say I've at least contributed to a build! I've really enjoyed it though so I have a feeling this might become a lifelong deal.

Good to know at the age of 22! :D

That is awesome! This is the AC30 build you mentioned right? I have always wanted to build up one of these kits but just never made the time.

I have a BYOC TS clone and a General Guitar Gadgets BSIAB that I mean to build some day in my copios spare time. I also have several bodies sitting in the closet (guitars bodies you sickos!) that I would like tio build up at some point. I'd love to build an amp some day, but there are only so many hours in a day...

Archived