Heritage Owners Club

Problems with strings slipping off the bridge

philipgustavson

You all seem to be very knowledgeable about Heritage guitars. I just know they rock and I have gigged with them since I was 19 and I always will gig with them.

My issue, and question, is this...

I own a Heritage Archtop. Dual humbucker. I think a H-575 Custom. It has the same bridge as my 140, with the strings resting on a circular piece which can be spun to change the string spacing. I used to have some issues with the strings slipping off of the bridge, even though I never had that problem with my 140. A few years ago I put a Bigsby on the Archtop. Now, it is almost inevitable that the strings will slip off the bridge even during simple chord comping. It sounds and plays great though. I have taken the guitar to countless guitar techs. It always comes back playing sweet, but they never have any ideas about the bridge problem. I have been considering replacing the bridge with one like on a Gibson Les Paul. The ones with the "V" shape that the string rests in which are not able to shift string spacing (as far as I know).

Any thoughts on if that is a good idea? Anyone have a similar problem or want to offer a suggestion? I would simply replace the original tailpiece, but the problem was around enough before the Bigsby for me to not want to gig with the guitar.

I have sort of been a lurker on this board for a while and was kind of surprised I never saw a thread about this.

Thanks all and I will snap some photos and look forward to becoming more involved on the board!

I just looked at my shaller bridge from one of my Millie eagles.

first thing I noticed was that the saddles/wheel design has different sized notches from the thinnest(highE) to the widest lowE saddle.

could your saddles have been placed in incorrect positions?

I would check the bridge for correct assembly, correct placement solidly on the body and that none of the parts are worn out.

also does the bigsby sit higher on the body preventing a good downward angle as the strings pass the saddles to the tailpiece?

I would also place a call into heritage and ask the guru's themselves... i have never heaard of this problem.. but have pushed low E strings off bridge saddles during agressive playing on other brand guitars with tonepros bridges.

Logic says that the bigsby loosens the strings, causing the strings to slid back and forth in the saddles, if you use a gibson tunamatic style bridge it will have metal saddles that will restrict the normal operations of the bridge, effecting tuning? maybe with a graphite saddles with a deeper filed notch you may find a good solution.

it causes me pain to hear that someone having difficulties with such a high end guitar... keep on rockin!!

I just looked at my shaller bridge from one of my Millie eagles.

first thing I noticed was that the saddles/wheel design has different sized notches from the thinnest(highE) to the widest lowE saddle.

could your saddles have been placed in incorrect positions?

I would check the bridge for correct assembly, correct placement solidly on the body and that none of the parts are worn out.

also does the bigsby sit higher on the body preventing a good downward angle as the strings pass the saddles to the tailpiece?

I would also place a call into heritage and ask the guru's themselves... i have never heaard of this problem.. but have pushed low E strings off bridge saddles during agressive playing on other brand guitars with tonepros bridges.

Logic says that the bigsby loosens the strings, causing the strings to slid back and forth in the saddles, if you use a gibson tunamatic style bridge it will have metal saddles that will restrict the normal operations of the bridge, effecting tuning? maybe with a graphite saddles with a deeper filed notch you may find a good solution.

it causes me pain to hear that someone having difficulties with such a high end guitar... keep on rockin!!

My 140 has the Schaller bridge and tailpiece, no problems here..I would check to see if the saddles coorespond to the correct string..That seems like a reasonable place to start, especially since the guitar had this problem, before you installed the Bigsby..

I got a 158 with Bigsby and roller bridge. It was recommended by Jay Wolfe even. No problems here.

If I understand the problem, the strings slip out of their slots at the bridge. Is this correct? If so, I'd say the problem is that the string angle over the bridge is not steep enough. That is, the string angle is too flat as the string passes over the bridge; there is not enough downward force of the string against the bridge saddle to firmly hold it in place, and so the string slips out of the slot.

If I have this right, you could try a bridge with deeper saddle slots; the deeper slots might hold the string in place better. Heavier gauge strings might also help. Fender Jaguar and Jazzmasters have this problem and so guitarists often install a device called the Buzzstop, which greatly increases the string angle over the bridge. The new Fender models increase the string angle by adjusting the neck angle (as I understand it).

I hope this helps.

Just to be certain: The strings are kicking out of the saddle on the EADGBE axis?

You've lubed your strings...I use chapsitck, mostly.

Do they tend to jump their sadles when you're pushing down on the Bigsby? Or pulling back?

How low do you like your action, and how heavy do you like your strings?

Obviously you cant't dive bomb with a Bigsby, but I'll wager you've tried--who hasn't!? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice. I will have to wait a few months until I have a little money to get some work done, but I think raising the bridge will really help a lot. Also, I will check into the saddles being the correct size for the strings. I use 11-50 w/ wound third.

This guitar is so sweet it is actually totally ridiculous...

Archived