Heritage Owners Club

Set up question for my 575

ronalr

I changed the strings on my H-575 when I got it a few weeks ago...I put on a set of flat-wounds 11-48. Ever since then I am having trouble playing because it seems the low E and A are over powering the other strings...especially with the tone turned down to get the nice jazz sound I am looking for . Those 2 low strings ring out longer than the others sometimes feeding back.....should I change back to reg strings (it came with reg strings but I changed them right away so I am not sure if it did it with those ) or is there an adjustment I can make to the pickups...or does it need to go in for a professional setup? It is a beautiful guitar in great shape ....string height is just right..neck feels perfect....just can not get the sound I want with out the low strings seeming louder and too bassy....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I changed the strings on my H-575 when I got it a few weeks ago...I put on a set of flat-wounds 11-48. Ever since then I am having trouble playing because it seems the low E and A are over powering the other strings...especially with the tone turned down to get the nice jazz sound I am looking for . Those 2 low strings ring out longer than the others sometimes feeding back.....should I change back to reg strings (it came with reg strings but I changed them right away so I am not sure if it did it with those ) or is there an adjustment I can make to the pickups...or does it need to go in for a professional setup? It is a beautiful guitar in great shape ....string height is just right..neck feels perfect....just can not get the sound I want with out the low strings seeming louder and too bassy....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ron, the pickup adjusting screws are on the left and right sides of the plastic bezel (pickup surround or ring). They'll move the pickup up and down, relative to the strings. Schallers have two pairs of these, one pair moves the p'up up and down, the other tilts the p'up fore and aft. I plug the guitar in and pay at medium volume, plucking each string individually, letting it sustain. To adjust the neck p'up, I flip the pickup selector switch to just that pickup, and pluck the E, A, and D strings while adjusting the screw, moving the pickup away from and toward the strings until it sounds the way I want it to and the output among strings is balanced. Then the other side of the pickup for the treble strings. Hit the selector switch, and do the same for the bridge pickup. A small adjustment in p'up height can make a big difference in sound!

Thanks guys good info....I have just never fooled with any kind of changes...just lucky that my guitars have been set from the factory the way I like or set up by a pro.

Will try that and let you know what happens.

Ron, the pickup adjusting screws are on the left and right sides of the plastic bezel (pickup surround or ring). They'll move the pickup up and down, relative to the strings. Schallers have two pairs of these, one pair moves the p'up up and down, the other tilts the p'up fore and aft. I plug the guitar in and pay at medium volume, plucking each string individually, letting it sustain. To adjust the neck p'up, I flip the pickup selector switch to just that pickup, and pluck the E, A, and D strings while adjusting the screw, moving the pickup away from and toward the strings until it sounds the way I want it to and the output among strings is balanced. Then the other side of the pickup for the treble strings. Hit the selector switch, and do the same for the bridge pickup. A small adjustment in p'up height can make a big difference in sound!

I can't thank you enough yoslate...that really worked...great information and instructions...... I just had to lower the the neck pickup per you instructions and the A & E are now perfect...no over ringing or feedback .....this small adjustment has made a huge difference in the over all sound and playability.......as usual this place is a wonderful resource with very helpful members.

Thanks again yoslate :blink:

Archived