Heritage Owners Club

Is the 550 a Hollow body?

pegleg32

I have seen Heritage list the H-550 as both a hollow body, and a semi-hollow body in different catalogs. Did it change over time, or is their some other explanation? It has a Schaller type bridge which leads me to believe there must be some kind of a block in it.

I checked mine with a mirror a week or so ago in response to another thread. I was mainly interested in how it was braced relative to the pickup placement(parallel), so I didn't do a full investigation, or bother to light things up carefully, but I noticed that the section behind the bridge pickup had additional strips glued inside the regular parallel braces (the parallel braces run the full length of the top along the outside of the pickup cavities.) It seemed that the bridge mounted through the top into those strips, which were not as deep as the regular parallel braces, but wider. I didn't check to see how far they extended towards the endpin. There was no block under the bridge, per se, but all of the bracing seemed pretty heavy to me. Impressed me as a top braced more not to feedback than a top braced to spread resonance from the bridge. But again, that was from a quick look. Others might have more insight.

Archived