Heritage Owners Club

humdity considerations

cod65

I keep a temp and humidity meter in my studio. I've been reading around 72% humidity , as low as 60 degrees.

I know 50% humidity is ideal, but is this going to ruin my babies ?

niether to much or too little is good but 70 is fine and humidity works on a sliding scale lower temperature less water the air can handle that 50% is most likely for 70 degrees and it really depends on the rapid change in humidity. Case in point a guy I know used to tour with Frank Sinatra Jr. and oddly enough Pia Zadora. His L-5 was stored in the hull of the bus (not temperature controlled) and after getting in to the hotel quick opened the case and he saw and heard the finish crack over pretty much the entire guitar. The wood and finish did not expand at the same rate and presto things get messed up.

I would say you are fine,... I live in florida (90% humidity most of the year and no problem.. However that said low humidity can ruin a piece of wood quick.

Yeah, I have an acoustic that had to go through months of rehumidification. It can stay pretty humid in GA and my guitars pretty stay as they are no matter how long I have them.

Archived