Heritage Owners Club

Help - mine amp started acting up too!

Spectrum13

Just started to whistle when the echo is on. I sprayed the in and out plugs with contact cleaner and now it doesn't want to verb.

Some caps were serviced last year and I replaced a couple of tubes. It was inactive for a few dozen years!

Ideas 1313?

Thanks,

Is that the model that has a compactron 6U10 tube? That tube has three sections and I believe is your effects tube. It may be time to replace it. That would be the best scenario. After that my guess would be caps in that section of the amp. If you need a replacement 6U10 shoot me an email.

Mike

emric57@aol.com

Is that the model that has a compactron 6U10 tube? That tube has three sections and I believe is your effects tube. It may be time to replace it. That would be the best scenario. After that my guess would be caps in that section of the amp. If you need a replacement 6U10 shoot me an email.

Mike

emric57@aol.com

Yes slider! I pulled the original 6u10 which was workling fine and put in a NOS summer 07. I just put the old one back in and see it that does it. If its that tube, I know and I'll email you for a back up 6u10. I know they don't make them anymore.

Thanks man!

I just put the old one back in and see it that does it. If its that tube, I know and I'll email you for a back up 6u10.

OK- the 6U10 swap did not work... caps?

Would I cause additional problems playing it dry until I can take it in?

TKS

Playing it without the reverb won't harm anything. Is the contact cleaner you used "quick dry" without a lubricant? The reason I ask is, inputs and tube sockets should never be sprayed with any cleaner that has a lubricant in it. The lubricant sprays are good for pots and some switches.

Playing it without the reverb won't harm anything. Is the contact cleaner you used "quick dry" without a lubricant? The reason I ask is, inputs and tube sockets should never be sprayed with any cleaner that has a lubricant in it. The lubricant sprays are good for pots and some switches.

Slider,

It had lubicant but I only sprayed the plugs going in & out of the spring box.

Slider,

It had lubicant but I only sprayed the plugs going in & out of the spring box.

:) Contacts like inputs and tube sockets need to be clean of any residue so metal to metal makes as pure contact as possible like; a guitar plug to female jack or tube pins to socket inputs. The reason for spraying them is to get any rust or buildup off of them. NEVER use this in a tube socket as the oil like substance or silicone is not a good thing here and may cause arching between the pins. I had a vintage Gibson amp brought to me where the owner sprayed EVERYTHING with that stuff and all the cloth covered wire absorbed the silicone. I gave it back to him and refused to "fix" it. Not a big deal on the reverb input but get some CRC "Quick Dry" at Home Depot. It will also say "leaves no residue" on the can.

Archived