Heritage Owners Club

Pickup Help!

Kuz

I want a really FAT, but not muddy humbucker. I basicly want a nice WARM, NOT MUDDY, HIGHER OUTPUT PAF.

My new 150 Goldtop with LOLLAR p90s are very vintage sounding, Fat, and with a lot of out put.

I have Seth Lovers in my Cust 555 and HRWs in the other 555.

I think these both sound great in a semi-hollow, but I'm looking for a humbucker for maybe a matching goldtop 150 with humbucker (Oh, Boy. I know!)

Jay said if I liked the Lollar p90s I might like the Lollar imperials. Has anyone tried these? I'm open to other brands to as long as they are VINTAGE SOUNDING, FAT, NOT MUDDY, and A LITTLE MORE OUTPUT than a traditional PAF.

Thanks guys!

Was on this same line of conversation with jameson1- he was asking about the Lollar Imperials. From the reviews I read on Harmony Central, they supposed to be the next step up from Seth Lovers. This to me is like going from great to really great. Tend to wonder just how much difference can be heard. I know they are really expensive, I believe 300 for a matched set and go up from there if you want the aged look.

You also might want to Google Sheptones, or also type that in the search here and you should pull up a previous thread that included a link with some really nice audio samples of the Sheptone humbuckers.

Good luck. Buying pickups is always a gamble  because you never really know what they will sound like until they are in your guitar, with your strings and over all set up.

Kuz, if you're looking for higher output consider a Humbucker outfitted with an alnico 5 magnet.  The SD Seth Lover has alnico 2 magnets just like the PAFs.  Consider the Lollar Imperials, Gibson Burstbuckers and SD59s.  I have tried all three and am partial to the Imperials and Burstbucker.  They too, btw are also available with alnico 2 magnets.    If the wood on the H150 has dark acoustic properties, the alnico 5 will serve you well.  Good luck in this journey.

Sounds like you want Bare Knuckle Mules.  They are a big, warm, full sounding humbucker that still retain their clarity and never sound muddy.  They are definitely a PAF style sound with just an added kick in the pants. 

Thanks that sounds like what I want (PAF with a touch more gain) but I don't want anything like metal- just that Joe Walsh, Peter Greene, scaled down Gary Moore type sound.

I have Seth Lovers in my Hamer Special FM and Lollar Imperials in my R8. The Lollars are a bit clearer with just a touch more note seperation. I also have Duncan '59's in my H140, which to me are warmer than the others, but not as transparent. I think what your looking for is a Duncan Custom, which is basically a hotter version of the Seth Lover.

Thanks that sounds like what I want (PAF with a touch more gain) but I don't want anything like metal- just that Joe Walsh, Peter Greene, scaled down Gary Moore type sound.

They are definitley a PAF sound, not a high gain pickup, just on the big bold end of PAF.  I currently have them in this:

width=303 height=480http://home.san.rr.com/renkluaf/LP1.jpg[/img]

It's my 1988, '59 Flame Top RI.  I've had so many different pickups in that guitar through the years I can't begin to list them all; some good, some great, some mediocre, some not so good.  For a number of years I had Duncan Antiquities in it and liked the sound I was getting.  I was favoring clean, to lower gain OD tones and the Antiquiies excelled at that.  Then I came to a point where I wanted more beef from my LP - I still wanted a great clean tone, but a bolder, fatter, warmer OD tone that was still articulate.  I tried WCR Crossroads - I liked the neck pickup, it was crisp and clear and sounded good clean or dirty - but the bridge pickup had me asking "Where's the beef?", and the middle poisiton had none of the magic I like when blending the pickups.  I then decided to go with the Bare Knuckles and I'm glad I did.  The clean tone are full and warm, with single notes being nice and round and yet there is still clairty in chors so that you can hear all of the notes, yeah!  Cranked up the just get big and fat and sassy and cun crunch, sing or cry.  I'm also going to put a pair in my CS-336, to warm/fatten that guitar up.

I have Seth Lovers in my Hamer Special FM and Lollar Imperials in my R8. The Lollars are a bit clearer with just a touch more note seperation. I also have Duncan '59's in my H140, which to me are warmer than the others, but not as transparent. I think what your looking for is a Duncan Custom, which is basically a hotter version of the Seth Lover.

Correction, the Duncan Custom is a hotter version of the '59. The Alnico Pro II is the hotter version of the Seth Lover.

I 2nd that fact that the HRW's sound just like your description.  Very nice high output PAF sound.  You would also like the Mules...Those are both high quality great sounding 'pups that would go beyond your expectations....

Peerless

www.peerlesstone.com

Archived