Heritage Owners Club

New Tung Sol 6SL7

slider313

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just picked up a pair of the new Tung Sol 6SL7 tube made for New Sensor in Russia. The construction looks rugged with thick spacers, short grey plates, a dual support halo getter and a brown JAN style base . I was sceptic as to how these would sound after trying about a dozen "NOS" versions and coming up with only two that weren't microphonic to the point of unusable. It seems to me the short plate Sylvania's are the best of the lot in terms of noise. Maybe that's why they're found in Ampegs that use this tube. Well, I tried these in my '63 Rocket and was very impressed with the lack of microphonics and noise. The tone was warm, clear and smooth even with the amp dimed; which is good new for owners of any amp using this tube.

SO Mike is a 6SL7 a power tube or preamp tube.

I assumed preamp when you were talking about microphonics.

Is a 6SL7 replicable for 12AX7?

Thanks for the review. There may be others as ignorant as me out there on the 6SL7.

SO Mike is a 6SL7 a power tube or preamp tube.

I assumed preamp when you were talking about microphonics.

Is a 6SL7 replicable for 12AX7?

Thanks for the review. There may be others as ignorant as me out there on the 6SL7.

The 6SL7 is an octal, dual triode, preamp tube which looks something like a 6V6. It's electronically equal to a 12ax7 with an amplification factor of 100 and was used in many amps from the 50's into the early 60's. When the 12ax7 was designed it pretty much replaced the 6SL7 as it was much smaller and provided more space in the amp with smaller tube sockets. I call these the "P90's" of preamp tubes because they have a woody tone at lower volumes and get very "throaty" when you push the amp.

What started as techno dribble :D morphed into sweet analogy. That's not easy; well done! :angry:

Archived