Heritage Owners Club

VIP system

CJTopes

I'm sure this has been disscused but does anyone here have or used the VIP system. I finally sold my Gibby LP and am in the market for a semi hollow. I see a few heritages out there with the VIP system and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or comments about it. Currently looking at Millie DC, Prospects, or 535s.

I have never owned one but I got to play around with one that was on Southpaw's VIP II.....it offers you a wide range of tonal possabilities! You basically have 2 HRWs with 2, 3-way mini toggles. Each mini toggle will put each HRW in 1. hummbucker mode, 2. single coil mode or 3. out of phase mode. and then with the possibilities of mixing it up between both pickups and the selection of your main toggle, it really opens up a virtual bouquet of sounds!!!

Can you use the D-VIP to get "normal" out of phase tones in the middle position? (Peter Green type sounds)

Also, how bad is the volume cut? According to Heritage's site at 0 there will be "almost no volume" so presumably the second you start touching the phase knob your volume starts to fade away.....

Can you use the D-VIP to get "normal" out of phase tones in the middle position? (Peter Green type sounds)

Also, how bad is the volume cut? According to Heritage's site at 0 there will be "almost no volume" so presumably the second you start touching the phase knob your volume starts to fade away.....

that im not sure of....maybe one of the electronic gurus can chime in?

This is the VIP II that Brent is referring to ...

gallery_328_8_77009.jpg

gallery_328_8_40509.jpg

It has HRWs and the D-VIP fitted. The controls work as Brent described, each pickup has a three way mini switch for humbucker / coil tap / phase. There are a lot of tones available and it does takes a bit of getting used to. There is a major volume drop when going from full humbucker to single coil but that is always the case on every other guitar with a coil tapped humbucker, it is unavoidable. I have split humbuckers on several G&Ls and also an ESP with an EMG 89 in the bridge, and a 170 with P-Rails and everyone of them has that characteristic. I do like to experiment with different tones and sounds though. Most of the time I use the HRWs in humbucker mode but occasionally I will use some of the other tones.

Oh and the middle mini switch is a kill switch.

( had to add that 'cos it sounds cool :huh: )

Check out this YouTube clip from Gregor Hilden using a 535 / w VIP ... awesome tone and playing !

That is some nice tone/playing.

The downfall I'm seeing with the DVIP is that you loose the individual VOL/Tone knobs for each Pup. I'll often blend the two pups together in various mixes using the individual vol knobs.

Archived