Heritage Owners Club

Which Heritage H-150/157?

Halowords

One significant difference between the 150 & 157 is the 157s ebony fretboard (along with the headstock binding & HRWs).

Just me, but personally I don't like ebony fretboards on solid body guitars (I love ebony on my archtops and even on my 555). I feel the rosewood on my 150 & my Cust 555 (which I ordered with a rosewood fretboard) gives a warmer singing tone with more mids and I don't care for the bite ebony gives on solid bodies.

Again, just my opinion, but I think the difference between ebony & rosewood fretboards should definitely be something to consider.

Beyond the better playability and richer sound regarding the Heritage, it is for some of us important, that these guitars are made on the right plant nearly by hand of the original makers more important than the mark on the headstock and the insurance of authenticity by making reissue- or signature- models.

Yeah, I agree with that.  For one Heritage has a great reputation of making great guitars and doing business "The Right Way."  Cliche, but it is accurate.  Secondly, the history of Heritage is directly tied to Gibson, even down to the workers that stayed at the original plant.  How can they possibly NOT be authentic, and if you have a great instrument why would it care what name is on the headstock or not?  Anyway, sorry for the rant.

I just came to remember, that I've been playing great Japanese LP-copies (actually from Norlin), built in the '80 and '90 (Orville by Gibson, I think, it was) who felt and played better than a new, ordinary G**n LP std's standing to show off in my local music store. You can by these babies in Japan/UK (in my part of town, that is :) ) for around $600-700 - Not that many buys them, because they're not made in US - the same goes for Fender in the same period...

I was actually interested in the Orville LP's.  However, the ones I have seen are not a great deal because either 1) They are labeled as rare or given monickers like collector's item or "mojo" and priced high, or 2) The cost of shipping is too high due to importing from Japan.  I also like Heritage because you are supporting an American company that makes guitars by hand.  How cool is that?

To the real matter - I recently bought a H-157 from 2001 and I have to agree, that weight's seemes to make a difference regarding the sound/sustain unplugged as well as plugged in.

The main reason, that I went for the H-157, was the flashy bindings (the Custom look) and the ebony fretboard that makes the "Heritage H-157 Black Beauty" all black and beauty.

Conclusion it's heavy but it's the best sounding "LP", I've ever heard. Can get it to sound like very old school on my Mesa Boogie - and that's exactly, what I would use it for (Free, Bad Co, Foreigner likewise).

So I'm just a happy man these days - hopes this bring you a little closer to what you're looking for.

Thanks for the info!  To everybody, for that matter.

-Cheers

One significant difference between the 150 & 157 is the 157s ebony fretboard (along with the headstock binding & HRWs).

Just me, but personally I don't like ebony fretboards on solid body guitars (I love ebony on my archtops and even on my 555). I feel the rosewood on my 150 & my Cust 555 (which I ordered with a rosewood fretboard) gives a warmer singing tone with more mids and I don't care for the bite ebony gives on solid bodies.

Again, just my opinion, but I think the difference between ebony & rosewood fretboards should definitely be something to consider.

Thanks!  Personally, I do not know what the difference that comes out of the amp actually is because I have always opted for rosewood since I generally like warmer sounding guitars.  So that is a factor I definitely appreciate knowing.

-Cheers

A word of caution. Not all 150's or 157's are the same.

There are variations according to customers specifications. After all, these things are (pretty much) hand made 8)

Check the exact makeup of any guitar before you buy.

As far as the Japanese alternatives go (and I may show a little bias here as I deal in them). I'd recommend a Vintage Greco over the average Gibbo on the basis that they're as well made but for less money. Just throw away the pickups for some SD's or whatever your choice is.  8)

Hey there all.

Another new guy and recent Heritage convert.

Ive just picked up a chestnut?  H-150 cm classic. I played a few different models including the 157 and the 150 just yanked my chain the most.

I havnt been able to put it down. It doesnt have the most highly figured top but I just had one of those, "this is the guitar" experiences  ;D

I played all the usual single cut suspects and lots of them, but this Heritage was the one. I wanted to like the gibbo's I tried, but.......

Anyway so glad I found this 10.5 pounds(or more) of tone and playability I had to share it with others.

@ Halowords

Try out as many as you can and let your hands and ears guide you

Thanks!  Personally, I do not know what the difference that comes out of the amp actually is because I have always opted for rosewood since I generally like warmer sounding guitars.  So that is a factor I definitely appreciate knowing.

-Cheers

Haven't ever noticed the big difference in the sound, related to the fretboard woods used on the guitars (maple, ebony or rosewood).

I prefer the ebony over any other type of wood, because it feel's a lot easier for my fingers to move around on those fretboards.

Subjective feeling or real argument -  I can't figure that out ??? 

This is my first post here. I actually have my H-150-p up for sale at TGP. I believe the -P stands for the poplar body in place of the standard mahogany. Mine is quite light in the 8lbs range. The first things I noticed about it when I got it was: The playing ease is incredible. The neck is super comfortable in it's 50's profile. It has excellent tone and tonal variance/dynamics and last, it has excellent sustain. I'm on the fence with the sale right now because I haven't been able to get that late Allman Bros. signature tone from it. Either from the original p/ups or currently installed burstbuckers. I am considering pulling my ad and trying some seth lovers or 59's before I give up on it, but I'm thinking it may be more a funtion of the poplar vs mahogany construction. If I wasn't so anal about this one type of tone I'd just keep it based on comfort alone. I may change to a standard stoptail as well, but fear it will lessen the sustain. Anyway, I hope this info helps more than confuses the issue. Matt

This is my first post here. I actually have my H-150-p up for sale at TGP. I believe the -P stands for the poplar body in place of the standard mahogany. Mine is quite light in the 8lbs range. The first things I noticed about it when I got it was: The playing ease is incredible. The neck is super comfortable in it's 50's profile. It has excellent tone and tonal variance/dynamics and last, it has excellent sustain. I'm on the fence with the sale right now because I haven't been able to get that late Allman Bros. signature tone from it. Either from the original p/ups or currently installed burstbuckers. I am considering pulling my ad and trying some seth lovers or 59's before I give up on it, but I'm thinking it may be more a funtion of the poplar vs mahogany construction. If I wasn't so anal about this one type of tone I'd just keep it based on comfort alone. I may change to a standard stoptail as well, but fear it will lessen the sustain. Anyway, I hope this info helps more than confuses the issue. Matt

Welcome to the Club, Matt!  the -P does indicate poplar for the body wood, and some here have posted favorable reviews of those guitars.  Post up some pics!

I actually have my H-150-p up for sale at TGP.

Hi... and a second welcome, from The Doctor....

You really ought to post some pics of this one. If you're not sure how check out the thread on the "Bay Watch" forum on this site entitled "How-To for posting Photobucket pictures."

Also let us know how much you want for it, perhaps advertise it on this site.

I'm certainly interested and I don't doubt many others will be too 8)

I just posted a pic link on a seperate thread entitled Newbie. Sorry to the OP for threadjacking a bit. Matt

No problem!  I did not even know there WAS a poplar Heritage H-150, or poplar Heritage ANYTHING for that matter.  I am more comfortable with Mahogany simply because that is what I am used to, but I have never owned a poplar guitar.  Regardless, it is still informative so no sweat.

Thanks for all of the advice from everybody.  I am actually a Dark Almondburst H-150.  I am sending the payment on Friday and a previously ordered set of Sheptone PAF's will likely be going into it (originally planned for my Hamer Studio, but I may have different plans for that one).  Really looking forward to it.

-Cheers

I've seen those Sheptone pickups for sale on ebay. If I remember right they're all handwound and he only makes a few sets per week.  If you put those into the H-150 please post a tone report.  I'd be interested to know what you think of them.

Dark Almondburst H-150.  a set of Sheptone PAF's will likely be going into it

-Cheers

Yes, if you do this please report the results. It would be good to keep a file on this type of thing. Perhaps (as we don't have a search engine) a sub topic for mods and peoples opinions.

Judging buy what Golfer is selling (and to some extent I'm buying) ;D He's done a fair bit of pickup research himself 8)

I'm going to start a new thread asking if people want a sub topic on mods ???

I've seen those Sheptone pickups for sale on ebay. If I remember right they're all handwound and he only makes a few sets per week.  If you put those into the H-150 please post a tone report.  I'd be interested to know what you think of them.

Yeah, I will post my reaction(s).  My initial reaction, just on talking to Shep, is that he makes a concerted effort to go back and forth, giving his initial response to your pickup request, he then asks for what you are looking for, is VERY open to questions and clarification on what you want out of them, seems to prefer custom orders or at minimal be quite open to them.  He will then give you options, what he thinks are the merits of each, and await your decision.  He also told me that if the pickups did not work in the guitar I got them for he would modify them.

Yes, if you do this please report the results. It would be good to keep a file on this type of thing. Perhaps (as we don't have a search engine) a sub topic for mods and peoples opinions.

I had heard a lot of good about Sheptone.  The price seemed too good to be true, but the reviews and won-over fans were really hard to ignore.  I was actually set to buy a set of WCR pickups, but thought I would email Sheptone about the pickups.  His attention to detail and what I was looking for (nothing too far out there, but I have definite tone preferences and musical styles/range I am going for) and willingness to work to give me exactly what I wanted, customized to my preferences, won me over.  I will definitely be willing to give my thoughts.  I just cannot wait to have the guitar with them installed so I can try them out.

-Cheers

Archived