Heritage Owners Club

Dr Z Mazerati?

Does anyone have experience with the Zs?

I gig a Carmen Ghia. One of the jams I go to provides a Prescription Jr. The Mazerati (depending on year of release) is like a suped up Carmen Ghia. So, whats up?

I have the chance to get into one.

It's a 30 watt Dr Z Mazerati head and Z best 2-12 cabinet.

The Mazerati can get very loud. It's also very musical, sorta 3D hifi sounding. Put in about 2 hrs on one in December. Thought about getting that when the Carmen became available. Sorta like an 18w version vs a 30w version. Again, depending on the year of manufacture. The Doc changed the design on the latest models. A bit more raunch, I believe. So, is it a Mazerati or Mazerati GT? It's the GT that is sorta pimped up.

The Z-Best cab - people think those are some of the best cabs going. And at reasonable prices.

i've had some Zs, friends have had others. one had a Mazerati. i heard it once at an outdoor show & it was loud as hell. part of a wet-dry rig & the other part was a Komet 60. as said, can be Marshall-y or chimey-Voxey. gine with all kindsa guits.

i had a ZBest cab w/my Route 66. 2xV30s. typical is 1xV30 + 1xH30. you should check w/the seller & try to confirm what's in there. no treat to open up & inspect, cuz they're buttoned up pretty good. thiele-aligned/ported. lotsa thump, if that's what you're looking for.

Zs are great, IMHO

i've had some Zs, friends have had others. one had a Mazerati. i heard it once at an outdoor show & it was loud as hell. part of a wet-dry rig & the other part was a Komet 60. as said, can be Marshall-y or chimey-Voxey. gine with all kindsa guits.

i had a ZBest cab w/my Route 66. 2xV30s. typical is 1xV30 + 1xH30. you should check w/the seller & try to confirm what's in there. no treat to open up & inspect, cuz they're buttoned up pretty good. thiele-aligned/ported. lotsa thump, if that's what you're looking for.

Zs are great, IMHO

Thanks all for the replies.

The cab is the typical cab and both are in great condition.

I'm still waiting to go check it out.

I gave him my number and he keeps emailing but no call, so who knows could be a sketch deal.

Another Z player here - Carmen Ghia 1x12 Combo with an Alnico Blue. I also own a Z-best 2x12, which is a killer 2x12 btw. I stood the Z-best up against THD 2x12, Jenkins Highway 61 and Mesa vertical and horizontal recto 2x12s and the Z-best was my favorite. Kinda heavy though. There are some suble differences between the Mazerati and the Carmen Ghia other than the two extra el84s. I've not played the Mazzerati but my understanding is they are quitge loud before they start to break up.

Brad Paisley used to use (still does use?) the Mazerati as his main amp.

Another Z player here - Carmen Ghia 1x12 Combo with an Alnico Blue. I also own a Z-best 2x12, which is a killer 2x12 btw. I stood the Z-best up against THD 2x12, Jenkins Highway 61 and Mesa vertical and horizontal recto 2x12s and the Z-best was my favorite. Kinda heavy though. There are some suble differences between the Mazerati and the Carmen Ghia other than the two extra el84s. I've not played the Mazzerati but my understanding is they are quitge loud before they start to break up.

Brad Paisley used to use (still does use?) the Mazerati as his main amp.

I'm looking for an amp with HEADROOM and this looks to be the case with the Z.

He emailed me back I'm going to see it tomorrow... B)

I'm thinking you might find the Mazerati to have more headroom by virtue of the volume this amp puts out. I think the prevailing thought is that all Z's are conservatively rated wattage wise. I know my 18w CG can kill volume wise. By swapping out the V1 pre for a lower gain tube I'm able to get enough headroom for some country-style picking, and enough hair when I bear down on it. That's one of the cool vibes with the Carmen/Mazerati amps. A simple swap of pre's or power tubes and you have a new(ish) amp. Checkout the Dr.Z forum. That link should go right to the Mazerati room.

I'm thinking you might find the Mazerati to have more headroom by virtue of the volume this amp puts out. I think the prevailing thought is that all Z's are conservatively rated wattage wise. I know my 18w CG can kill volume wise. By swapping out the V1 pre for a lower gain tube I'm able to get enough headroom for some country-style picking, and enough hair when I bear down on it. That's one of the cool vibes with the Carmen/Mazerati amps. A simple swap of pre's or power tubes and you have a new(ish) amp. Checkout the Dr.Z forum. That link should go right to the Mazerati room.

Thanks Tulk I'll check it out.

The amp head was built in 2000 the letter K started the serial # found this in the forum.

It's one of the older versions, 30 watts. Is there much difference with the earlier built ratis?

He says it's in excellent condition I'm pretty excited.

that'll be like my friend's. info on it is here. it'll have great headroom & love OD pedals. a great amp.

has the Ken Fischer-y features like the output transformer, which'll contribute to a Trainwreck sound and feel, which to me is a major jones factor, but that'll have to keep for a while. (Mike Z. was a friend of Ken's and they worked together on this & stuff like his attenuator)

that'll be like my friend's. info on it is here. it'll have great headroom & love OD pedals. a great amp.

has the Ken Fischer-y features like the output transformer, which'll contribute to a Trainwreck sound and feel, which to me is a major jones factor, but that'll have to keep for a while. (Mike Z. was a friend of Ken's and they worked together on this & stuff like his attenuator)

Cool I'm sure I'll like it, and thank you for the info.

Ya the GT doesn't sound like something I would want in this type of amp that is what my Mesa F-50 is for.

Archived