Heritage Owners Club

jazz tube amp help

jrfreed

HAHAHA!! I'm a JBGI student as well! Same ID as this site

Jimmy's site is really the best and to meet him and talk in person is unreal. He is so down to earth and I'm really happy his site has the success it has because he deserves it.

Might be a good post to start, What guitar teaching tools work best for you, books - dvds - web sites etc. I know it's not really Heritage related but just food for thought.

Good luck with the amp quest.

BMG

A first rate jazzer buddy of mine owns one of those 15" loaded Twins. All I can say is WOW, what a great, fat jazz tone he gets from it. The only downside is the amp's weight. Just too darned heavy to drag to/from gigs.

And that's why I went with the rig I use, the Twin Custom 15 just weighs TOO much. Breaking it down into this head/cab combo makes it far easier to move, and IMO the Carvin X-100B Series IV head is a very under-rated & underpriced amp. Not only that but the Carvin has many modern features not included in the throwback Twin. Don't get me wrong I may still end up getting one of those Twins but as a gigging amp the setup I chose I feel just makes more sense for versatility & moving it around.

And that's why I went with the rig I use, the Twin Custom 15 just weighs TOO much. Breaking it down into this head/cab combo makes it far easier to move, and IMO the Carvin X-100B Series IV head is a very under-rated & underpriced amp. Not only that but the Carvin has many modern features not included in the throwback Twin. Don't get me wrong I may still end up getting one of those Twins but as a gigging amp the setup I chose I feel just makes more sense for versatility & moving it around.

That's why I had my '73 Super Reverb put into a head cab. ;)

super_reverb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys . . . tubes, solid state, tubes, solid state . . .

I dearly love my Fender Twin. I have a small ss amp for practice sometimes, but I'd rather lug the big beast around just for that big fat juicy tone. But, my mind was just blown a couple days ago.

Wes Montgomery set the standard for tone (and most everything else about jazz guitar, for that matter). He played through a Fender Super Reverb early in his career and then switched to a Standel Super Custom XV. The Fender was obviously tube. The Standel was solid-state. The Great One played and recorded with a ss amp.

http://www.standelamps.com/about_us/story/story_p10.html

lotsa good ideas here.

if you're leaning toward that Swart, you might check out the Juke Coda or Juke Warbler 112. the builder sells mint-condition demos at steep discounts (a Coda he's posted in TGP right now is down to $1650). great reverb, vibrato, & tremolo in both models.

i also saw a Heritage Patriot going for silly $$ ($1300?) today on TGP. for my money it blows away any Fender after 1963. ymmv, of course. might be heavy, tho.

Archived