Heritage Owners Club

Yellow Jacket class "A" tube adapters

Scooter

OK, I'm late to the party regarding tube amps. So perhaps most, or all, of you know what a Yellow Jacket tube adapter is (perhaps there are other versions by now, as well). I've been looking into tube amps for only about a year and I've never heard of these things in that time.

I was checking out a few new demos of Red Iron Amps 5 Watter model (6V6) and this guy used the Yellow Jacket with an el84 in the same amp without having to rebias. Here's a link to one of the demos:

Anyhoo, thought I'd just share this for anyone who may not yet know about this thingy. Here's an article link: http://www.thdelectronics.com/pdf/yj.pdf

Also, I just found out about this thing called the "wheel." It looks like it also has potential.

OK, I'm late to the party regarding tube amps. So perhaps most, or all, of you know what a Yellow Jacket tube adapter is (perhaps there are other versions by now, as well). I've been looking into tube amps for only about a year and I've never heard of these things in that time.

I was checking out a few new demos of Red Iron Amps 5 Watter model (6V6) and this guy used the Yellow Jacket with an el84 in the same amp without having to rebias. Here's a link to one of the demos:

Anyhoo, thought I'd just share this for anyone who may not yet know about this thingy. Here's an article link: http://www.thdelectronics.com/pdf/yj.pdf

Also, I just found out about this thing called the "wheel." It looks like it also has potential.

The Red Iron amps are what are known as "Boutique" amps, hand made one at a time with top quality components by Paul Sanchez, they are of top quality. For a guy that calls himself late to the party you have managed to stumble onto a very good builder! :D Did you notice how much fatter the lower mids and bottom was when using the 6v6 though?

The Red Iron amps are what are known as "Boutique" amps, hand made one at a time with top quality components by Paul Sanchez, they are of top quality. For a guy that calls himself late to the party you have managed to stumble onto a very good builder! :D Did you notice how much fatter the lower mids and bottom was when using the 6v6 though?

212Mavguy, I've been having to wait to buy my first tube amp; something I'll do when we sell a piece of property we have on the market. But I'm thankful for the wait because it's given me time to really look at what's out there amp-wise---and there's a lot to like. But by far my favorite amp builder and amps, in general, are Paul's Red Irons. He's a great guy, too; class all the way.

212Mavguy, I've been having to wait to buy my first tube amp; something I'll do when we sell a piece of property we have on the market. But I'm thankful for the wait because it's given me time to really look at what's out there amp-wise---and there's a lot to like. But by far my favorite amp builder and amps, in general, are Paul's Red Irons. He's a great guy, too; class all the way.

So I was wondering if anyone makes a converter that allows one to be able to switch from 6V6 to 6L6. Anyone know?

I tried a pair in my '69 Marshall 50 watt a few years back. I had a problem with whisteling - not sure if it was the yellow jackets, pre-amp tubes, or just the amp needing servicing. I've since had the amp serviced by the Plexi Palace and haven't tried the yellow jackets in it since. I've got three el84 based amps anyway (Dr. Z Carmen Ghia, Reihnardt 18 and Vox AC15H1TV) and another on order Xits X-10, so sticking them in my Marshall would just be redundant. I should probably dust them off and sell 'em on eBay or somethig.

I tried a pair in my '69 Marshall 50 watt a few years back. I had a problem with whisteling - not sure if it was the yellow jackets, pre-amp tubes, or just the amp needing servicing. I've since had the amp serviced by the Plexi Palace and haven't tried the yellow jackets in it since. I've got three el84 based amps anyway (Dr. Z Carmen Ghia, Reihnardt 18 and Vox AC15H1TV) and another on order Xits X-10, so sticking them in my Marshall would just be redundant. I should probably dust them off and sell 'em on eBay or somethig.

Guitarman, those Xits are sweet amps. You'll have to share the news and tell us what you think when you get it.

You think you are late..I'd never heard of them till just now..It's amazing what kind of volume and tone you can get out of a low wattage amp.. :D

Guitarman, those Xits are sweet amps. You'll have to share the news and tell us what you think when you get it.

I'm still about 4 - 6 weeks out. I ordered mine before the price increase, although they are still cheap for a handwired amp of that quality. I love grab and go amps and I love el84s - can't wait to get that thing!

I'm still about 4 - 6 weeks out. I ordered mine before the price increase, although they are still cheap for a handwired amp of that quality. I love grab and go amps and I love el84s - can't wait to get that thing!

+1 on the el84's

So I was wondering if anyone makes a converter that allows one to be able to switch from 6V6 to 6L6. Anyone know?

Hi, that is a seemingly simple question with a seemingly simple answer which is not all that simple... :huh: 6l6 and 6v6 are pin compatible, which means that they will theoretically work in each other's sockets...BUT...happiest results depend on the amp design and on the parts used in that amp. The main thing being, the power and output transformers.

If the power transformer is of a capacity in voltage and current that is optimally for 6v6, it might overheat when called upon to carry the increased load of of 6l6gc's, especially if left on for a long period of time. Depends on the amp design. The output transformer, if designed for handling 6v6 might overheat or even burn up when tasked with running the higher amount of output from 6l6gc's through it.

A main power transformer designed for 6l6gc, might have a plate voltage rating that would be fine for 6l6gc but might be too much for most types/brands of 6v6's. The 6v6's in a lot of brands/cases would get cooked to a relatively early death. An output transformer of capacity to handle 6l6 would have no problem handling the output of 6v6.

Hope this helps. There are other nuances as well...but just trying to keep it simple here.

David Allen of Allen Amplification builds amps and sells amp kits based on Fender designs that the user can choose between 6v6 or 6l6 tubes for what it's worth. And I dare say that our fellow HOC member Slider313 knows enough to build any one of more than several basic amp designs/topologies from scratch that could run 6v6 or 6l6 and sound great as well. ;) Peace.

+1 on the el84's

Dr Z. Carmen Ghia

Reinhardt 18

Vox AC15H1TV - modified by Don "Tone Man" Butler

XITS X-10

I'm a sick man and I love el84s!!!

Must resist... Mesa Trans Atlantic... must resist... Mesa Lonestar Special... must resist...

Dr Z. Carmen Ghia

Reinhardt 18

XITS X-10

Must resist... Mesa Trans Atlantic... must resist... Mesa Lonestar Special... must resist...

...Er...must resist spending too much money for either the LSS or Transatlantic, check out the LSS's daddy, the Maverick! There is a thread in the modern amps section...Lone Star Special vs. Maverick...www.forum.grailtone.com Peace.

Not that I'm aware of, but there are some amps that have that ability. The THD Univalve, Bivalve, and Flexi 50 amps are all designed to be able to run any octal based tubes, and with the use of Yellow Jackets they can also use EL84's. To accomplish this there is a switch on the front that raises or lowers the plate voltage to the output tubes. The Flexi 50 also has external bias points on the back of the amp to allow for fine tuning the bias for each of the power tubes while the Univalve & Bivalve are self biasing amps. I think there are other amps that have similar features but I don't know who they are.

Not that I'm aware of, but there are some amps that have that ability. The THD Univalve, Bivalve, and Flexi 50 amps are all designed to be able to run any octal based tubes, and with the use of Yellow Jackets they can also use EL84's. To accomplish this there is a switch on the front that raises or lowers the plate voltage to the output tubes. The Flexi 50 also has external bias points on the back of the amp to allow for fine tuning the bias for each of the power tubes while the Univalve & Bivalve are self biasing amps. I think there are other amps that have similar features but I don't know who they are.

...Add Siegmund Midnight Blues to that list, www.siegmundguitars.com I have one and it rules my amp roost. Phenomenal!

...Er...must resist spending too much money for either the LSS or Transatlantic, check out the LSS's daddy, the Maverick! There is a thread in the modern amps section...Lone Star Special vs. Maverick...www.forum.grailtone.com Peace.

I had the Mesa Nomad and figured to get the Maverick close to what I wanted I would have to make it in to a head and run it through one of my cabs just as I did with the Nomad. The combo's cab design(same as the Nomad) introduces to much of a honk that switching speakers just wouldnt fix. Its in the cab(for me any way). Also the C90's are not my favourite speaker. I know others like them though. Funny that I like the c90 in the 112 Electra Dyne combo though. More than the ED 212 with V30 combo.

I run a Fender Concert on YJ's. Still sounds like it does with 6l6's but slightly thicker...bit more compression I guess....and Im able to get it to break up sooner ie: at a usable volume. Its still pretty loud though. The other part of that equation is that Im using a less efficient speaker, G12m , rather than the big beasty that was in there.

The YJ's are not a cure all for every amp. Some amps dont work so well with them and others sound great. Ive tried them in about 5 amps and only liked them in the Concert and a 212 Deville I had briefly.

Dr Z. Carmen Ghia

Reinhardt 18

XITS X-10

Heritage Briton II (if you can one, 'specially w/the cab) :huh:

Dr Z. Carmen Ghia

Reinhardt 18

XITS X-10

Heritage Briton II (if you can one, 'specially w/the cab) :huh:

The YJ's are not a cure all for every amp. Some amps dont work so well with them and others sound great. Ive tried them in about 5 amps and only liked them in the Concert and a 212 Deville I had briefly.

my experience, too. matter of fact, YMMV, etc., i don't really like 'em all that much in anything. yet...

(another great EL84 amp i'd like to try someday: UG30. or a Pittbull45 1x12 combo. or...)

Hi, that is a seemingly simple question with a seemingly simple answer which is not all that simple... :huh: 6l6 and 6v6 are pin compatible, which means that they will theoretically work in each other's sockets...BUT...happiest results depend on the amp design and on the parts used in that amp. The main thing being, the power and output transformers.

If the power transformer is of a capacity in voltage and current that is optimally for 6v6, it might overheat when called upon to carry the increased load of of 6l6gc's, especially if left on for a long period of time. Depends on the amp design. The output transformer, if designed for handling 6v6 might overheat or even burn up when tasked with running the higher amount of output from 6l6gc's through it.

A main power transformer designed for 6l6gc, might have a plate voltage rating that would be fine for 6l6gc but might be too much for most types/brands of 6v6's. The 6v6's in a lot of brands/cases would get cooked to a relatively early death. An output transformer of capacity to handle 6l6 would have no problem handling the output of 6v6.

Hope this helps. There are other nuances as well...but just trying to keep it simple here.

David Allen of Allen Amplification builds amps and sells amp kits based on Fender designs that the user can choose between 6v6 or 6l6 tubes for what it's worth. And I dare say that our fellow HOC member Slider313 knows enough to build any one of more than several basic amp designs/topologies from scratch that could run 6v6 or 6l6 and sound great as well. ;) Peace.

Uff-da! Actually, you explained that very well, Mav. Thanks for taking the time to shed some light on that! I wish I was sold out on one type of tube, but I love several of them. Probably my fave is 6L6 and not far behind is 6V6 and el84, but heard several others I'd be quite happy with, as well. It is the HOC here that made me curious enough to look into tube amps for the first time last year (been solid state only for 22 years). Now I "get" the amp gas thing on two levels---as in, I understand it and I haz it. ;)

Uff-da! Actually, you explained that very well, Mav. Thanks for taking the time to shed some light on that! I wish I was sold out on one type of tube, but I love several of them. Probably my fave is 6L6 and not far behind is 6V6 and el84, but heard several others I'd be quite happy with, as well. It is the HOC here that made me curious enough to look into tube amps for the first time last year (been solid state only for 22 years). Now I "get" the amp gas thing on two levels---as in, I understand it and I haz it. :D

Glad to help in enabling ;) I have the amp and tube GAS thang bad, if my fingers worked as well on the picking and fretboard I'd be a monster, but oh, well, got to be mediocre at some things! Am slowly getting better and enjoying my guitarded state of disease! I belong to the Mesa Boogie owner's forum and in a member's post this question appeared, about New Old Stock tubes:

So what is everyones general consideration as to what is the be all end all in these respective tubes to have?

May I share my answer here...

It's best to have the idea/attitude thet there is no be all end all NOS or VOS tube brand or design any more than putting a bunch of horny bachelor party dudes in a titty bar and having them rate the best boobs on the dancers...different ones please different persons the most! You just have to play with 'em and despite what you like now, you might find some others that you like bettah at a later time!... peace.

:P

Uff-da! Actually, you explained that very well, Mav. Thanks for taking the time to shed some light on that! I wish I was sold out on one type of tube, but I love several of them. Probably my fave is 6L6 and not far behind is 6V6 and el84, but heard several others I'd be quite happy with, as well. It is the HOC here that made me curious enough to look into tube amps for the first time last year (been solid state only for 22 years). Now I "get" the amp gas thing on two levels---as in, I understand it and I haz it. :D

xlnt! well, don't click here. or even here. and 'specially not here

just sayin'...

Archived