Heritage Owners Club

Tweed amp

blues

Hi guys. I have not had the chance to play my 137DC throught any tweed amps. I dont live close to many places to test one out. Ive had a few Victoria amps. 45410 bassman copy, thier tweed deluxe clone. Mark from Victoria sold me the deluxe factory direct, lot lot cheaper than from a dealer. I had a 53 fender deluxe also (pain it the butt to keep in good playing condition) Never heard p90s though any of them. I have a marshall 100 watt VM half stack now and I like it, but a bit much for the house sometimes. Im disabled so I do not play out now and I dont want to hall around a halfstack just for the once in a while jam. I wish I would have kept the 45410 its was killer and with a lovepedal screamed. Just wonder everyone thoughts. The half stack will have to go to get another tweed if I go that route.

Well to me I think you had one of the most desirable tweed amps (the Victoria Deluxe tweed). I have a Fender Cust Shop '57 Deluxe RI with an original '58 Jenson speak. In my opinion it defines "cord into amp" blues distortion. Very ZZ top!!!

Thanks Kuz,the deluxe my be a bit loud for the house. But your right,and I plug staight in. Im thinking the vicky 5112 ( champ with 12" speaker in a bigger cab.) The champ version with the 8" speaker may not cut it.

I have two tweed clones. I gigged my Tweed Super for nearly 2 years. I converted it from a 2x10 to a 1x12 Weber 12F125 AlNiCo. Just sings. And at non-gigging levels. Took that one to the PSP last year. I think a few people liked it. Giggin, I get a lot of comments and compliments on the tone of my Heritages thru it, as well as the G&Ls.

My other Tweed is a Deluxe clone, altho' it's not decked in tweed. I had blonde tolex put on the cab. Just to be different. Like Kuz's Deluxe, mine has a period correct Jensen. Well, Magnavox branded. But that's the real deal from the '50s. Not my favorite amp until I got that Maggie in it. Talk about one sweet baby. I use it at rehearsals with my Custom Prospect. Tone-o-mite!!!

As for bedroom/living room levels - try a Dr.Z Brakelite. Got one in my Carmen Ghia. It's good attenuating on the first three detents. And on the "bedroom" setting (full on). Very transparent for an attenuator.

My Mesa Lone Star has a "Tweed" setting, as well. Gets extremely close to a tweedy vibe. Scary close.

Im ok with some volume and the amp dont have to have bedroom volume. Just thinking the vicky deluxe may be a bit much. I guess I getting so bad GAS. Its a sickness. :worthless:

i have an old gibson GA-8..It's only like maybe 10 or 15watts thru a 8 or 10 inch speaker.. It sounds great though..Real nice tube compression and sustain..plus it's amazingly loud for a little amp..You might find one on E-bay.. :blush:

Kuz brought an older Gibson "tweed era" amp up to PSPII last year. Just an amazing amp and at very low volumes. Maybe he'll jump back in and refresh what model it was.

Gibson '64 Falcon. 18 watts although does seem that loud. I paid only $300 for it.

I'd get an old little Gibson, Silvertone, Danelectro, or Supro 1x8 combo type a thing.

I have a little old Kay that's 4-5 watts w/8" speaker and it's perfect for home playing. clean to mean @ reasonable levels.

• 2 weeks later...

My choice for blues is my tweed Fender Blues DeVille 410.......I bought it the first year they were offered (1994) and have never had one issue with it. To me it defines blues tone......60w of tube through 4-10's......doesn't get much better. For practice I use my Blues Junior (same year)....small but sweet blues tone.

JMHO

Jim C

Archived