Heritage Owners Club

Seth Lover/Antiquities

Salutemysolution

About six months ago I traded out the 59s in my H150 for Hum size P90s. Although the current pickups sound good, they don't sound like true P90s and I find myself longing for the humbucker thickness. I really don't want to put the 59s back so I'm thinking either Seth Lover or Antiquities. I know the SLs are really popular in 535s, but has anyone tried them in an H150? Furthermore, does anyone have experience with Antiquities? I know both those styles are unpotted so I'm unsure how much sqeal I would have to deal with, but the idea of having vintage styled pickups appeal to me. I occasionally play with some gain, but nothing really heavy. Thanks, I definitely value the opinions on this site.

I have a Seth Lover in the neck position on my H150 and it's great. Definitely has that vintage vibe you're talking about. Hopefully my next guitar will be a 535/555 and I think I'd like to try the antiquities in it. I haven't heard a direct comparison with the SL's, but I think they are in the same range as far as tones. I would say you can't really go wrong with either for what you are looking for.

The best sounding H150 I have heard and played was Mike Novello's old H150 he no longer owns. Biggest mistake he ever made. It had a fantastic sound to it with an excellent clear singing edge reminiscent of Leslie West. I thought at that point in time, yeah, this is the exact sound I am looking for.

I recently bought a pair of Seths, but I haven't got around to installing them yet on my own guitar, I already have a neck Seth in a 157. The problem is I like the way my guitars are all sounding at this point and it is hard to choose the right sacrificial lamb.

FWIW I've had both in different gutiars and have tried both in numerous guitars. For semi-hollow bodies I prefer the Seth Lovers, for solid bodies I prefere the Antiquities, but that's just me. My favorite 535 had Seths in it and it just killed! The Seths have a little more of the traditional PAF slightly nasal honk that works well with semi-hollow bodies. The Antiquites are like a fine wine, smooth, ariy, with smokey overtones. That said I sold a 535 last year that had Antiquities in it and sounded great! Can't go wrong really with either set. Kuz will probably jump in here and recommend the Throbaks. I haven't heard these yet (the price scares me away) but they are getting rave reviews.

I have used Antiquities in H-150's but not in a 535. The Seth lovers have a really good sound in a 535 but there are other pickups out there. You might look into Lindy Fralin's humbuckers, they are quite popular with players in Nashville and are still affordable. The pickups Nashville players swear that there is nothing else like are made by Tom Holmes. Tom builds every part of the pickup including the covers. I have them in 4 guitars including an H-535 and H-155 I have never found anything better. (they are pricey, $560.00 a set and he had a 6 month wait last time I talked to him.)

Vintage tone in a 150? Tom Short Tombuckers! I cannot say enough about these pickups. They were recommended to me by Mike (slider313) and seconded by Kuz. I dealt via e-mail with Tom. I couldn't believe how responsive he was. Mike suggested a custom wound Marc Ford Tombucker. As per Mike's recommendation I had Tom wind me a pair: 7.9 bridge, and 6.9 neck. They went into my Grail 150 (the closest I'll ever get to an actual '59). I have Seths in my '73 Paul, and they sound very good. I've been very satisfied with that combination. But I don't play that guitar out. The Grail 150 plays out regularly because it sings! It's a very well put-together 25th Anniversary, and the Tombuckers finish it off. Exceptionally authentic '59 PAF tone...just remarkable! Go to Tom's website (just Google it) and check out the clips of Marc Ford. Then think about the fact you're hearing that through your No-Fi computer speakers. Tom Short's pickups are superb and worth every penny!

Vintage tone in a 150? Tom Short Tombuckers! I cannot say enough about these pickups. They were recommended to me by Mike (slider313) and seconded by Kuz. I dealt via e-mail with Tom. I couldn't believe how responsive he was. Mike suggested a custom wound Marc Ford Tombucker. As per Mike's recommendation I had Tom wind me a pair: 7.9 bridge, and 6.9 neck. They went into my Grail 150 (the closest I'll ever get to an actual '59). I have Seths in my '73 Paul, and they sound very good. I've been very satisfied with that combination. But I don't play that guitar out. The Grail 150 plays out regularly because it sings! It's a very well put-together 25th Anniversary, and the Tombuckers finish it off. Exceptionally authentic '59 PAF tone...just remarkable! Go to Tom's website (just Google it) and check out the clips of Marc Ford. Then think about the fact you're hearing that through your No-Fi computer speakers. Tom Short's pickups are superb and worth every penny!

Thanks. I'll definitely check those out. Marc Ford definitely has good tone. I love his his crusty blues on the Black Crowes "Southern Harmony" album.

I have used Antiquities in H-150's but not in a 535. The Seth lovers have a really good sound in a 535 but there are other pickups out there. You might look into Lindy Fralin's humbuckers, they are quite popular with players in Nashville and are still affordable. The pickups Nashville players swear that there is nothing else like are made by Tom Holmes. Tom builds every part of the pickup including the covers. I have them in 4 guitars including an H-535 and H-155 I have never found anything better. (they are pricey, $560.00 a set and he had a 6 month wait last time I talked to him.)

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the Fralin Pure PAFs and they sound really good to me. I'm sure the Tom Holmes pickups are wonderful, but I could never justify spending that much money on pickups.

The TONE LIST... by order of my preference....

-Throbaks (yea, THEY ARE THAT GOOD)

-Tom Shorts (very close to Throbaks, not quite there, but hey at half the cost???? NO BRAINIER)

-Seth Lovers (the original.... the neck may be the best ever, but the bridge is TOO ice pick for me)

-Lollar Imperials (potted and sound a little to "blanket over the amp")

-HRWs (great Hi-Fi for archtops, but WAY too metallic sounding for semi-hollows & solidbodies)

There you go! Good Luck!!!!

Archived