Heritage Owners Club

Next next amp

Tested the proto Rotten Johnny today. I hope to have the second one built. The first goes to Destroy All Guitars. Two 12Ax7 and two 6v6s and an incredible scope of tones from tweed to blackface to marshall. Two gains controls and unique tone shaping. I was suprised at the amount of clean headroom. Each amp Paul makes is an improvement over the last this is a grand slam. Might put a Austin Alnico in it. Check it out.post-408-1272061295_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping it will be here (well at the shop) the end of next week. Can't frickin' wait!

Yea, I just could not "frickin" wait that long - by the time I wanted a voxey thing and listened to the sample the price went up $250 and six months. I ordered a Hayseed 15 with an EF86. Should ship next friday. The floating block P90 Prospect is great for jazz but I could not get super rock & blues tone out of the Goodsell or Swart but broken up AC30 tones on the Vox valvetec could get into the Sean Costello thing. Thus the Hayseed sound unheard. I like to support local botique guys and this is like a golden era with stuff like Xits, Morgan etc. Atlanta's local... Nolatone excelled at bringing out the sounds of the guitar rather doing a distintive amp tone. These guys all know each other from the shows and knowing whats happening in the market. Nolatone is literally right next to Goodsell, and he knows Mike from Xits like him and his amps. When I saw Paul and checked out his stuff, he starting thinking about and describing what he wanted to make next based on his prototype Blacktooth superbug which I plugged my 137 into. He was going where I wanted to and I would be a fool not to hear how the Rotten Jonny came out. So he finished it yesterday. I played with it this morning right before he took it down to Gutar Denter (they now carry Nolatone in Atlanta) to see how they liked it. It came out fantastic, so I must have one. Finished versions will not look like the photo I picked out my cabinet and we will see about the speaker. That's just a chassie he reworked to try out his circits. The two different gain controls shape the texture not unlike the Xits but it has the "Lift" the "bottom" (6 position clicker) the middle and top cut and then the master it develops a lot more tricks than the X10.

I've heard great things about the Hayseed, and the price is still right (at least the last time I checked it was). Magic Amps, Morgan, Nolatone, so many amps, so little time. I'm definitely finding I'm an el84 guy - Carmen Ghia, Reinhardt 18, Don Butler modified Vox AC15H1TV and the X10 on order. I was lucky and got in before the price increase. I also ordered it with the greenback because I already have some Alnico Blues I could throw in there, and I figured I could always flip the greenback if I wanted too, get the KTS70 and still come out ahead. The sick thing is I've been eyeballing the Sadie X15. Not sure I can bring myself to spend that kinda dough on an amp though, ouch! Let us know when you get the Hayseed and the Rotten Johnny.

Bob

PS Your gonna love the ef86 channel. Try and find a Dario ef86 if you can - they are the shizzit!

• 4 weeks later...

Let us know when you get the Hayseed and the Rotten Johnny.

Bob

PS Your gonna love the ef86 channel. Try and find a Dario ef86 if you can - they are the shizzit!

Have the Hayseed for about 12 days now and finally fired up another "Swart" amp after solid AC15 -30 tone bliss!

Glad I got the Dario ef86 cause the second day I had the amp I pulled to tubes to see what was where and broke the stock ef86 putting it back in. Suprise that a new production JJ ef86 was like $30 so a NOS Dario was only $20 more. It has a regular ef86 channel and a t-boost ef86 channel along with a bypass 12AX7 and a top boost 12AX7.

The Rotten Johnny should be done next week and Paul posted some quick sound clips on the webpage. Really sounds like the Xits X10 with much more tone and gain options due to the pre/post gain and how the mids are controlled. Trying to decide on the right speaker Austin Speaker Works has a 8 week waiting list, might go with the 60 Ceramic. Already have the NOS glass!

Let us know when you get the Hayseed and the Rotten Johnny.

Bob

Have the Hayseed for about 12 days now and finally fired up another "Swart" amp after solid AC15 -30 tone bliss!

Glad I got the Dario ef86 cause the second day I had the amp I pulled to tubes to see what was where and broke the stock ef86 putting it back in. Suprise that a new production JJ ef86 was like $30 so a NOS Dario was only $20 more. It has a regular ef86 channel and a t-boost ef86 channel along with a bypass 12AX7 and a top boost 12AX7.

The Rotten Johnny should be done next week and Paul posted some quick sound clips on the webpage. Really sounds like the Xits X10 with much more tone and gain options due to the pre/post gain and how the mids are controlled. Trying to decide on the right speaker Austin Speaker Works has a 8 week waiting list, might go with the 60 Ceramic. Already have the NOS glass!

Nice to see some boutique amp users here!

Archived