Heritage Owners Club

Roland Cube 80x comments?

Guest mgoetting

Guest mgoetting

I was using my Micro Cube last night and do have fun with it.

The 80x has some nice features, but I haven't heard it in person.

Guest mgoetting

I ordered one. Here's why.

The reviews generally were positive for tone and reliability. (I'm not expecting it to sound like a $2k amp.) I own a Micro Cube and like it for a tiny, portable amp, so Roland is okay with me. Further, the 80x weighs much less than many tube amps with 12x1. Next, the effects are impressive, including 40 sec looping. Lastly, the price is right. Mine is $338 delivered.

Guest mgoetting

I ordered one. Here's why.

The reviews generally were positive for tone and reliability. (I'm not expecting it to sound like a $2k amp.) I own a Micro Cube and like it for a tiny, portable amp, so Roland is okay with me. Further, the 80x weighs much less than many tube amps with 12x1. Next, the effects are impressive, including 40 sec looping. Lastly, the price is right. Mine is $338 delivered.

Guest mgoetting

ebay.

Used ones, which there are not many, might be $300. Restocks and demos come with the warranty and run $330s to $360s with shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I tend to buy the demos and restocks from reputable sources rather than used when the item hasn't been out long, unless I can personally check it out. I have to wonder why someone would buy an new amp then sell it 3 months later unles there were troubles.

Guest mgoetting

I've used mine a little more than a week. It will be much longer before I get comfortable with all of its capabilities.

It sounds good in the clean mode. Looping and reverb are excellent.

One thing I didn't expect is that there is no 1/4" auxillary input jack, just an 1/8". I'll need to get an adapter for my rhythm generator.

The amp modeling sounds so far seem contrived and not full and rich. But I haven't had time to tap into the full potential there.

Anyway, so far I like it.

For full disclosure I should add that I played through a Marshall Friday. It sounded much better than the cube. It's not a fair comparison at all with the Marshall coming through a 10x4 cabinet.

I didn't get the contrived feeling from the amp models. Hopefully you warm up to them. I really like the models. Different person, different set of ears.

If you decide you don't want it, just send it to me. I will enjoy it for you. :P haha.

Guest mgoetting
I didn't get the contrived feeling from the amp models. Hopefully you warm up to them. I really like the models. Different person, different set of ears.

If you decide you don't want it, just send it to me. I will enjoy it for you. :P haha.

I'd hate to put you out that way. But thanks for the offer. B)

I haven't had time to experiment around with it yet. Don't despair! It'll take a few weeks or longer before I know what I'm doing with it.

i've had a Cube 30 for a few years now. use it for lotsa different situations (even an outdoor gig this month). mostly for giving guitar lessons. it's been tough, small, light, and has taken a little accidental abuse ("oh, sorry, jeff..." :D ). sounds good. wouldn't use it for a gig where i *really* care about the sound, but have been pleased with it.

i've had a Cube 30 for a few years now. use it for lotsa different situations (even an outdoor gig this month). mostly for giving guitar lessons. it's been tough, small, light, and has taken a little accidental abuse ("oh, sorry, jeff..." ;) ). sounds good. wouldn't use it for a gig where i *really* care about the sound, but have been pleased with it.

Played in a band last year where the Rhythm player would bring his C30 to gigs if the stage was small. It sounded great. Until the band started up. And then it just died in the mix. Couldn't hear it for cr*p. Too bad, too. Sounded decent otherwise.

Guest mgoetting
Played in a band last year where the Rhythm player would bring his C30 to gigs if the stage was small. It sounded great. Until the band started up. And then it just died in the mix. Couldn't hear it for cr*p. Too bad, too. Sounded decent otherwise.

Maybe he shoulda turned it up to 11.

played mine in a jr. high auditorium earlier this year. lineup was (left->right): guitar, drums, bass, me. we did "Stop" (Bloomfield-Kooper supersession version) and i wondered if i'd be heard OK. the tune uses quite a dynamic range from pianissimo to fortissimo and more. i had it on "Brit Combo" (sounds tweed/bluesbreaker-ish to me) and pretty much cranked for vol & gain, working vol from guitar. i don't recall using any pedals (i was really just there as safety net for a kids' band we coach). later the other guitar player & the drummer said they could hear me just fine, as could a friend who was near the back of the room. the drummer is not particularly loud, kinda average. so, anyway...

Yeah. I can see a single speaker 30w combo fighting in a band. I can honestly see a 50w single speaker fighting a bit. My Vox 212 50w tube on the other hand.... I swear it has to be that heavy so it doesn't blow itself over.

I own a Cube 30 paid $110 sounds totally great for the $$$$$$ I also own several Black face fenders, the cube seems to me to be one hell of an amp for the $$$$$$. I'm still a guy that prefers less than 50 watts for guitar. It's up to you, killem' with power or really killem' with taste. It's all in the phasiing, keep on pickin' Peace Al B

Guest mgoetting
I own a Cube 30 paid $110 sounds totally great for the $$$$$$ I also own several Black face fenders, the cube seems to me to be one hell of an amp for the $$$$$$. I'm still a guy that prefers less than 50 watts for guitar. It's up to you, killem' with power or really killem' with taste. It's all in the phasiing, keep on pickin' Peace Al B

Dead audiences won't ask you back. Just wing 'em. :thumbsup:

Archived