Heritage Owners Club

New strings and setup for my H535

GrandpaLarry

My recently purchased H535 developed a buzz on three of the strings, so I figured it was time to take it back to the shop to have the setup tweaked. While it was there I had the tech install a set of new strings. The ones I chose are SET SILENCER, Nickel Electric Semi-Flat Light SL1046. After he was done I plugged in and sat playing for about an hour.

These are really smooth playing and sounding strings. have any of you tried them?

My recently purchased H535 developed a buzz on three of the strings, so I figured it was time to take it back to the shop to have the setup tweaked. While it was there I had the tech install a set of new strings. The ones I chose are SET SILENCER, Nickel Electric Semi-Flat Light SL1046. After he was done I plugged in and sat playing for about an hour.

These are really smooth playing and sounding strings. have any of you tried them?

Set Silencer is the brand name? Huh, never heard of them. I am a big fan of round wound (I like the sparkle and ring), but thanks for posting.

I wonder if another company make the string for them?

Set Silencer is the brand name? Huh, never heard of them. I am a big fan of round wound (I like the sparkle and ring), but thanks for posting.

The brand is SET and they are made here in Northeast Ohio. They are really and actually made at Lay's Guitar in Akron. They are half rounds.

I've seen them online at several websites. If you are interested and can't find them, message me and I'll send you a set.

Sparkle and ring from flatwounds? Wow, my experience was just the opposite; dull and dead and well flat sounding. But that was years and years and years ago and I haven't tried them since as I found very quickly I'm not a flatwound kinda guy.

Sparkle and ring from flatwounds? Wow, my experience was just the opposite; dull and dead and well flat sounding. But that was years and years and years ago and I haven't tried them since as I found very quickly I'm not a flatwound kinda guy.

Might want to re-read what I posted..... LOL

"I am a big fan of round wound (I like the sparkle and ring), but thanks for posting."

Guest mgoetting
Sparkle and ring from flatwounds?

Not in my part of the woods. I've tried to like flatwounds for decades. The idea seems good but the reality doesn't work for me. I have trouble bending them and they seem more dampened.

Better guitarists than me love 'em though.

Not in my part of the woods. I've tried to like flatwounds for decades. The idea seems good but the reality doesn't work for me. I have trouble bending them and they seem more dampened.

Better guitarists than me love 'em though.

He miss read my post..... this is what I said, "I am a big fan of round wound (I like the sparkle and ring), but thanks for posting."

Guest mgoetting
He miss read my post..... this is what I said, "I am a big fan of round wound (I like the sparkle and ring), but thanks for posting."

I read it right and was agreeing with you. Flatwound sparkle and ring don't happen in my part of the woods.

Guest mgoetting

In fact I have a set of flatwounds in my drawer waiting for the day when I'm willing to try them again. I'm thinking maybe in a couple of years.

I was gonna say I've hear of SIT (Stay In Tune) strings, and like them a lot, but I've not hear of SET strings.

Right you are. It is SIT. Blame it on the poor eyesight of old age.

Another benefit of these SIT strings is they're inexpensive. As far as playability goes, they bend easier than the strings that came on my 535.

There are hundreds of string manufacturers/brands/composition/etc. Much like pics/amps/straps ... it's very important to find those strings which work for you. If it's SIT that gets you going, awesome!! If it were Mojo strings (I actually have a pack of those), then that would be awesome as well. What I'm saying is that it's just as important to find "your" strings as it is to find "your guitar", "your amp", "your tone", "your etc." (hehe). And sometimes we forget that.

As for Heritage stock strings, the ones that came on my Prospect were nearly unusable. Felt like 11's/12's, altho' we know they string mostly with GHS 10's. Put a different set (different manu) and it was string heaven. And yeah, there ain't much like a fresh set up and new strings to make a guitar just sing!! :thumbsup:

To me it depends on what guitar and what kind of music you are playing...I mostly use round wound 10's ....they are on my 535 and 157...but the 575 has 11 flat wounds on it....and it sounds great for chord melody jazz....but I would not use them for rock...unless you are doing early 60's Beatles stuff...I think George Harrison used flat wounds on his Country Gentleman at times....

...I think George Harrison used flat wounds on his Country Gentleman at times....

My first electric was a 12 Rick in 65 and I used Rick flats as recommend on the hand tag. I only remember black diamonds, gibson, fender, rickenbacker strings and Earnie Balls being available back then. Anyone have an idea what George could find in the UK (Roto Sound?) in the early 60s?

Have used SIT's and they lasted a long time felt great and sounded very good too. However, they were round wounds. Current favorites would be Pyramid and Ti's

My first electric was a 12 Rick in 65 and I used Rick flats as recommend on the hand tag. I only remember black diamonds, gibson, fender, rickenbacker strings and Earnie Balls being available back then. Anyone have an idea what George could find in the UK (Roto Sound?) in the early 60s?

Have used SIT's and they lasted a long time felt great and sounded very good too. However, they were round wounds. Current favorites would be Pyramid and Ti's

Second the Pyramids. Love 'em. But they are pricey. I recall in the way back days that we could only get Black Diamond. And then only from Katz (think Osco/CVS, dime store concept). Was like stringing up a cheese grater. But, you could buy single strings all day long. Buy a set? Unheard of! Didn't see Gibs, Fender etc., until the advent of the local MnP music stores.

Just put a set of Thomas Infield blues sliders on my H150. Really like the tone. And put a set of TI flatwounds on the 535. Jazz somethings. anyway they sound great. I put some D'Addario's on the 535 and was really disappointed in the sound. The TI's completely reversed that in fact I have to go home a lunch and play it for 30 minutes.

Thanks HOC for the recommendation of TI strings.

I've seen but not tried the SIT strings. They sure are priced right.

After trying a bunch of strings I'm pretty much set on Thomastik roundwound Bebops on my Archtops and

Elixir Nanowebs on everything else.

On both, the treble strings are plated. I hear a definate difference in the warmth of the trebles and they don't corrode

with my particular body chemisty.

More expensive but they last a good long time.

Right you are. It is SIT. Blame it on the poor eyesight of old age.

Another benefit of these SIT strings is they're inexpensive. As far as playability goes, they bend easier than the strings that came on my 535.

Ok. I LOVE SIT strings, just hard to find locally. The used to come standard on Tom Anderson guitars (he's since switched to Elixrs, wish he'd switch back) and come standard on Don Grosh gutiars. I used D'Addario these days as they can be bought locally, I buy them by the box and their corrosion resistant packaging meand they're still fresh by the time I get to the end of the box.

Just put a set of Thomas Infield blues sliders on my H150. Really like the tone. And put a set of TI flatwounds on the 535. Jazz somethings. anyway they sound great. I put some D'Addario's on the 535 and was really disappointed in the sound. The TI's completely reversed that in fact I have to go home a lunch and play it for 30 minutes.

Thanks HOC for the recommendation of TI strings.

TI strings RULE.

Love the George Benson round wounds on my 575 Custom.

Archived