Heritage Owners Club

Heritage made vs. completely custom built

Guest mgoetting

Hmmm, not sure what my point is, other than I needed more post counts 'cause I'm chasing Brent's. :occasion13:

LMAO....my post count just proves that i have a very close bond with my computer and the internet, at least my wife thinks so ;)

One thing I've noticed over the years is that great players can make almost any guitar sound good, and they often sound just as good through a cheapo as they do through a fancy one. I've also found that wood is highly unpredictable. I've played cheapo assembly line guitars that had the tone of the gods, and high-dollar customs that sounded (and played) like ass.

Because of those factors, it would almost never be worth it for me to spend $10,000+ on a one-off guitar. Admittedly, I don't play big jazz boxes. At the end of the day, though, a guitar is a tool, and I'd rather have the chance to play a whole bunch and find the ones I bond with, rather than blowing five figures and risk getting one I don't connect with.

As for stuff like varnish vs. nitro...well, I hate to say it, but electric guitars are not violins. Even jazz boxes are a pretty crude thing tonally compared to getting a great violin.

No disrespect- but what if Jims guitar sounds like pooo? It's just a polished turd.

It's a numbers game for finding GREAT GUITARS. It either comes together or it don't

If it was me, I'd find the biggest dealer with the biggest selection of the instrument I was looking for, fly there then ship the guitar back and still save money

plexi

No disrespect- but what if Jims guitar sounds like pooo? It's just a polished turd.

It's a numbers game for finding GREAT GUITARS. It either comes together or it don't

If it was me, I'd find the biggest dealer with the biggest selection of the instrument I was looking for, fly there then ship the guitar back and still save money

plexi

Polishing turds . . . . now there's a term I haven't heard for 25 years. WAY back when I was a producing in Rite Track Studio in Manhattan. We would have the "baby acts" come in to do demo tapes for their management companies and lawyers to shop to the labels. That's what we called it back then also . . . polishing turds. And we had alot of real turds being recorded in that studio. But, we also had some very serious talent also. Thanx plexi . . . you helped me to relive some ggod times.

im not an achtop guy, but as far as solid bodies, i have had a couple custom builds and i always go back to my Heritages

+1 on that!! Both my Heritages are by far the finest electrics I've ever owned!! I've never owned any custom electrics, but let me tell you about my experience with a hand built acoustic lately..(not REALLY handbuilt, but I digress) There is a local un-named luthier that I recently bought an acoustic from..Traded my excellent Taylor 314-ce and a bunch of cash, because I was blinded by the whole one man shop handbuilt thing..About a week in I noticed some nasty fret buzz, in the upper frets..Not happy, took her back..He shaved the offending frets down, the buzz moved up the neck..You know the drill..finally negotiated a trade..took her home, a few days later..guess what FRET BUZZ!! took her back, apologized for being a pain, which I had no reason to do, because I was the one who parted with the hard earned American greenbacks..But I asked for another trade, and He refused..I finally talked him into it, but i had to give him an additional $100 or I was going to be stuck with a $1600 guitar that needed to be re-fretted!! Maybe I should've been tougher I don't know..But this much I do know..I wish I still had that Taylor!! Just something to think about..Your Mileage may vary ;)

Polishing turds . . . . now there's a term I haven't heard for 25 years. WAY back when I was a producing in Rite Track Studio in Manhattan. We would have the "baby acts" come in to do demo tapes for their management companies and lawyers to shop to the labels. That's what we called it back then also . . . polishing turds. And we had alot of real turds being recorded in that studio. But, we also had some very serious talent also. Thanx plexi . . . you helped me to relive some ggod times.

Patrick, I used to be in the same game. Studio guitar guy working in the Memphis/Nashville rock scene.

I used to get called in after the "turd" bands guitar players couldn't track, but they could write cool stuff

Good Times and I learned a BUNCH

plexi

• 2 weeks later...

Archived